A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - Cars (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   WANTED: Audi S8 D2 FL (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14054)

CB1 16th April 2018 09:36 PM

WANTED: Audi S8 D2 FL

Hi guys,

Taking a proactive step to help my dream of having a car from Ronin (not the Peugeot!). On the look out for an Audi S8 D2 FL. Perfect wish list would consist of a fully spec'd car, ideally Final Edition, one of the blue colours, and low miles.

But... keeping mind open on spec and colour. Just looking to experience the pleasure of driving the car.

If anyone is struggling with the idea of selling their beloved S8 D2 and only would let go of it to someone that will give the car the care it needs whilst giving it the opportunity to breath and stretch on open roads..... I am the guy for you!

Thanks.

steamship 16th April 2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB1 (Post 140329)
But... keeping mind open on spec and colour. Just looking to experience the pleasure of driving the car.

Definitely keep your options only. No harm is looking for the ideal car for yourself, but don't let other potential ones slip through your fingers because you're being too stringent on spec.

It doesn't mean not having your ideal car, it just means driving around in another A8/S8 until your ideal one comes along.

Davey Blueeyes 16th April 2018 10:31 PM

You will find the car you want. I wanted a FE, to be honest what I ended up with was MUCH more to my liking!

Some things are easy to change, some are not. Know what you are prepared to compromise on and what you are not.

The right car will come and you WILL love it! I love mine, it's flipping awesome!

tintin 16th April 2018 10:37 PM

Define low mileage? If you're looking for under 100k, and want a good one, then be prepared to wait, unless you want to go for the one that's currently up on eBay for £10k but with the wrong wheels...:-(

PS - I waited 5 years to get the right one, and it came from Ian! (IT..)

IT 16th April 2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB1 (Post 140329)
Hi guys,

Taking a proactive step to help my dream of having a car from Ronin (not the Peugeot!). On the look out for an Audi S8 D2 FL. Perfect wish list would consist of a fully spec'd car, ideally Final Edition, one of the blue colours, and low miles.

If anyone is struggling with the idea of selling their beloved S8 D2 and only would let go of it to someone that will give the car the care it needs whilst giving it the opportunity to breath and stretch on open roads..... I am the guy for you!

Thanks.

Ok, so in breif as it’s covered so many times on here elsewhere:

The genuine final edition S8 give or take a couple of scraps of leather here and there is actually a visually exciting, but low spec car (relatively).

You want high spec, or final edition. Waiting for both is futile.

The final edition came in Avus silver, ebony black, Misurno red and Aqua blue. In kind of that order of cars built. If you want a blue one, it feels like there were like single digits ever built, and I’d be gobsmacked if any of them were sub 100k these days.

If you want a collectors item, find a nice, low mileage final edition and don’t modify it. Or drive it preferably. They’re the ones that will probably hold most value, rightly or wrongly.

If you want a grin on you face, find a high spec 2001/2002 car that isn’t a final edition that has a bit of spec about it, and enjoy putting miles on it...... +++

And don’t dismiss the A8 4.2 FL either. It’s an unsung hero. Yes, its 310 horses versus 360 but it’s mostly in the gear ratios and the A8 feels torquey and responsive, and will cost you like half as much as the S8 to buy.....+++

Mileage isn’t everything..... I’ve seen S8s die at 70k and I have an S8 at 170k which for no reason at all is one of the most rapid D2’s I’ve ever driven. I had to let a mate test drive it to verify, and he agreed !

pete-p 17th April 2018 01:21 PM

Welcome to the forum. You're in the right place anyway! +++

I've not had mine too long but didn't have any particular wish list when buying other than it was well maintained! Sometimes you can be lucky and find just what you want but they don't come up for sale often. I still remember seeing mine for the first time, I was sold instantly.

Conquistador 17th April 2018 02:00 PM

Good luck with the search.

As has been said already, you'll be waiting a long time for a low mileage, higher spec Final Edition. It's usually one of those attributes, rarely two and three is just wishful thinking. Be sure the history is good and the gearbox has been serviced or overhauled.

The D2 options list wasn't very long and most aren't too difficult to retrofit so if I was looking again, a lower spec'd example wouldn't really put me off. Values seems to be rising (since I sold mine 3 years ago :mad:) and it looks to be a future classic.

HPsauce 17th April 2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conquistador (Post 140390)
The D2 options list wasn't very long and most aren't too difficult to retrofit

Hmm, there were quite a few but it depends what you want.
Bose is a bit of a mission if absent, not sure anyone has done that.
Servotronic I'd guess is near impossible.
Heated windscreen is very rare and presumably difficult as well.

Davey Blueeyes 17th April 2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 140392)

Bose - ✓
Servotronic - ✓
Heated Windscreen - ✓

*sits back partially smugly and wonders why I don't have a rear window blind*

IT 17th April 2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 140392)

Bose - all seats and carpets out, full day job but quite doable. I’ve done it at least twice, and my current D2 doesnt have Bose but I really can’t be bothered again ;-)

Servotronic, doubt its much extra effort above swapping the rack, but given swapping the rack is a real pita in the first place.....

Heated windscreen. Done. And really isn’t that hard. You need to run three wires from the battery corner of the boot to the front of the car, and swap the screen but it’s one of the less challenging mods....

But it’s so much easier to just buy what you want in the first place ;-) ....