A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Power boot struggles to open on left side. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11616)

Turbo Tony 20th June 2016 09:21 AM

Newbie alert: where can I get the struts re-gassed? What's the correct pressure?

I've fitted a new motor and it's working fine (actually, so did the old one!) but it does thunk closed rather than lowering gently.

Storka 20th June 2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony (Post 113877)
Newbie alert: where can I get the struts re-gassed? What's the correct pressure?

I've fitted a new motor and it's working fine (actually, so did the old one!) but it does thunk closed rather than lowering gently.

Here in Australia it's quite common to get gas struts regassed especially for large toolboxes etc
Apparently in the USA it's not so common.
I don't know about in the uk.
I don't know the correct pressure.
The new correct Audi strut is not that expensive anyway I think

HPsauce 20th June 2016 11:04 AM

Would not the current strut have the pressure marked on it?

Turbo Tony 20th June 2016 05:03 PM

OK, I did a quick Google and it appears there is a company in the UK that can regas struts through the mail - SGS Engineering UK.

They just got back to me and said they can supply new struts for £41.14 for the pair, or regas mine for £29.16 (£9.50 per strut, £5.30 postage + VAT), which includes return postage. They have to inspect the struts to ascertain whether or not they can be regassed.

I'm tempted to have them regassed, so I know they'll be OEM struts.

They're based in Derby and they said they're happy for me to pop in if I'm in the area. Strangely enough, I may need to head that way for work in the next couple of months, so I may do the whole thing in person.

Storka 21st June 2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony (Post 113900)
OK, I did a quick Google and it appears there is a company in the UK that can regas struts through the mail - SGS Engineering UK.

They just got back to me and said they can supply new struts for £41.14 for the pair, or regas mine for £29.16 (£9.50 per strut, £5.30 postage + VAT), which includes return postage. They have to inspect the struts to ascertain whether or not they can be regassed.

I'm tempted to have them regassed, so I know they'll be OEM struts.

They're based in Derby and they said they're happy for me to pop in if I'm in the area. Strangely enough, I may need to head that way for work in the next couple of months, so I may do the whole thing in person.

I think that will go a long to help solving your problem

Conquistador 21st June 2016 08:48 AM

If you're going to that effort, SGS do 'NitroLift' (nitrogen gas struts) which are around £35 if I remember correctly. Fitted some to my D2's boot and to the bonnet of another car and they perform well.

ainarssems 21st June 2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conquistador (Post 113915)
If you're going to that effort, SGS do 'NitroLift' (nitrogen gas struts) which are around £35 if I remember correctly. Fitted some to my D2's boot and to the bonnet of another car and they perform well.

That's probably just a marketing, as far as I know most of the struts (if not all) will be filled with nitrogen as are gas filled shock absorbers because nitrogen molecules are fairly large so they escape less and nitrogen does not contain oxygen like air would so does not oxidise oil in the struts, on top of that it is cheap and abundant.

snapdragon 21st June 2016 08:56 PM

Hi mcs, if you end up with a spare lift motor I would perhaps be interested in buying it if you no longer want it, I already did the switch and wiring but was waiting for another one to come along at the right price after missing one for sale on here.

Storka 22nd June 2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 113925)
That's probably just a marketing, as far as I know most of the struts (if not all) will be filled with nitrogen as are gas filled shock absorbers because nitrogen molecules are fairly large so they escape less and nitrogen does not contain oxygen like air would so does not oxidise oil in the struts, on top of that it is cheap and abundant.

Yes the strut man when he did mine put them in a steel tube and pressurized it with nitrogen. I saw the nitrogen bottle connected to it.
It was a homemade setup. Steel tube with screw on cap.
Put struts in the tube pressurize and gas is forced past the o rings.
It is harder to reduce the pressure in the strut apparently

H-M3 23rd January 2017 10:58 PM

just bumping this thread. Did anyone at the end have their struts gassed? As my one closes fine but needs help lifting