A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Gearbox Funk (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13006)

bobbyshafto 18th May 2017 06:23 PM

Gearbox Funk

I've had a somewhat troubling day today; I left the handbrake on a notch without noticing for a mile or so, the smell was obvious as I was at low speed, and I was able to correct the error fairly quickly without, hopefully, any long term damage!

That said, 3/4 hours later I was backing out of my drive, a back and forth affair as a tight fit, and without warning the changes became harsh, all the gearbox indicators on the dash increased in size and where highlighted in red (P-N-R-D-S) and the box was behaving oddly! Stopped and switched off and after starting again (mostly) normality returned (the 'D' now seems to flash 'highlighted' occasionally)!

To say I am concerned I have bought a 'lemon' would be an understatement!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

HPsauce 18th May 2017 06:45 PM

My first suspicion would be the F125 switch.
Settle down and read this thread.... http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12221

David's8 18th May 2017 07:07 PM

Agree with HP. It may have been an existing fault which keeps coming and going as this fault often does - or it may have just decided that it was time to play up. Whats the mileage?
Edit: i see from your intro post it's 113k. Bingo!Within 10%of several other F125 failures)

bobbyshafto 19th May 2017 07:34 AM

Phew!

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the quick responses, I feel much less concerned now though I imagine my wallet is going to feel a lot light soon!

Thanks again.

Neil

HPsauce 19th May 2017 08:49 AM

Important thing is no need to rush if that is it. And definitely don't panic.
Do you have VCDS? That's fairly important so that you can check for any error codes before doing anything at all.

If the warning display clears when you stop the car and only appears occasionally when doing "brisk" moves of the gear lever, typically reversing as you describe, then you can live with it for ages. I did for well over 3 years before finally getting it done.

I only ever got the infamous 01119 Gear Recognition Signal error, though others have had additional ones. If it's gearbox internals you usually get fairly specific errors about them.

If/when you decide to get it done it helps to have a cooperative/understanding garage and give them all the tips and techniques from Audipages and especially from MikkiJayne who managed to do it so quickly.
I think my garage did it "by the book" and charged me for the standard time even though it can be (and probably was) quicker and easier.

bobbyshafto 19th May 2017 02:27 PM

DSAutowerks

Just spoke to David at DSAutowerks in Crawley and I must say he was one of the most pleasant people I have spoken to (at a garage) in a very long time! Knowledgeable, helpful and friendly and offering to fix my F125 issue at, what seemed to me, to be a very good price!

I'll let you know how it goes after the 30th when it is booked in!

Thanks

Neil

johnny_quattro 19th May 2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyshafto (Post 128017)
Just spoke to David at DSAutowerks in Crawley and I must say he was one of the most pleasant people I have spoken to (at a garage) in a very long time! Knowledgeable, helpful and friendly and offering to fix my F125 issue at, what seemed to me, to be a very good price!

I'll let you know how it goes after the 30th when it is booked in!

Thanks

Neil

I'll second that... David replaced my timing belt/oil cooler pipe (aluminium one) in March of this year. Very happy with the service received.

David's8 19th May 2017 07:26 PM

Whats the price? - if you dont me asking :)

The F125 is around £165 (inc VAT) thru TPS and the ETKA hours for the job is 5hrs. It can be done quicker (see MikkiJane) and my indy booked around 4 hrs.

Regulus 19th May 2017 07:43 PM

I didn't know what the F125 switch was, so I had a look at audipages A8 F125 Transmission Switch replacement.
Looks like a lot of work with it being so inaccessible.

Good luck with the repair +++

bobbyshafto 19th May 2017 09:16 PM

Cost

David's8,

I've been quoted £400.00 give or take - the part is a little more but the hours a little less - it's handy in terms of location and I cannot fault the service so far!

Cheers

Neil