A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Rear 12V point (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9006)

Professor Peach 27th October 2014 01:24 PM

Rear 12V point

Folks - during this weekend, the rear 12V socket (cigarette lighter) stopped working. I assumed that I'd somehow managed to blow the fuse, so I swapped it with the front one and have confirmed the fuse to be fine. So, what else is it likely to be? I'll have a look at it over next weekend, but if there are any suggestions where to start it'd be appreciated.

On a side note, that may or may not be connected, the rear courtesy lights have started flashing on and off a little when they're supposed to be on. A little knock on the assembly brings it back briefly, but i obviously have a dodgy connection up there.

Cheers

HPsauce 27th October 2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Peach (Post 83435)
On a side note, that may or may not be connected, the rear courtesy lights have started flashing on and off a little when they're supposed to be on. A little knock on the assembly brings it back briefly, but i obviously have a dodgy connection up there.

Mine do that, though I think it's connected to the LED bulbs I put in.
Weird thing is, if I pop the unit out of the roof it seems to work perfectly, it often goes off as you push it back in. :Confused:

briang9 27th October 2014 02:24 PM

If you de-activate the rear windows that also stops the lighter socket working, check the switch has not been pressed in error

Professor Peach 27th October 2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 83440)
If you de-activate the rear windows that also stops the lighter socket working, check the switch has not been pressed in error

Strange - I'm pretty sure the rear windows are always de-activated (I have small kids that like to press buttons), but the rear socket has always worked in the past. I will check that out though, thanks.

Professor Peach 27th October 2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 83439)
Mine do that, though I think it's connected to the LED bulbs I put in.
Weird thing is, if I pop the unit out of the roof it seems to work perfectly, it often goes off as you push it back in. :Confused:

I also have the LED's in, so maybe I have the same gremlins as you Andrew! I'll have a play with that at the weekend.

HPsauce 27th October 2014 03:04 PM

I've played and played, even swapped the whole light unit, but found nothing consistent that relates to anything logical! :(

I think there must be some "clever" electronics controlling the relationship between the front and rear courtesy lights and the LED's throw them out of kilter.

johnny_quattro 4th July 2016 02:54 AM

Resurrection of old thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Peach (Post 83435)
Folks - during this weekend, the rear 12V socket (cigarette lighter) stopped working. I assumed that I'd somehow managed to blow the fuse, so I swapped it with the front one and have confirmed the fuse to be fine. So, what else is it likely to be? I'll have a look at it over next weekend, but if there are any suggestions where to start it'd be appreciated.

Cheers

Hello Professor Peach.

My A8L seems to have succumbed to the same problem. I'm aware of the rear electrics being cut when you press the driver's door switch to stop kiddies playing with the rear windows etc. but that's not the problem. I've checked the 15amp fuse in the driver's footwell, and that's ok. It's the 5th one along I think in the bottom brown fuse section.

Did you get anywhere with your issue as this one has foxed me?

Cheers,
John G

Professor Peach 4th July 2016 12:07 PM

To be honest John, I'd completely forgotten all about this issue (as I've not had a need to use the rear power point recently). I do have the rear windows disabled, so there's every chance it's just turned off (I was not aware of this before this thread). I'll check tonight, but to answer your question, sadly no, I'd didn't get to the bottom of this!

Rob

johnny_quattro 4th July 2016 07:37 PM

Thanks very much

I feel that the on-coming train is set to disappoint me lol.

It's a weird one. Fuse has been checked. It simply stopped working for some inexplicable reason. I will pencil in a multimeter diagnosis session at the weekend to see if I can figure out what the problem is. If I manage to get anywhere with this issue, I'll report back.

Cheers,
John G