A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dealers dont make much profit (what!) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16474)

roberto 29th October 2021 05:59 PM

Dealers dont make much profit (what!)

i went to look at an A8 today £28500
it had a private plate on
when i looked in the boot the original plates were there

i recognised it straight away and checked my conversation with the last private owner
all pics etc were still on my phone the same car it was
i was offered it for £22500 as a dealer offered £22000
but he was desperate and let it go

£6500 profit
i asked for a cash discount
then the saleman said,, we cant give any more discount as we havent got much accross it
I LEFT

tintin 29th October 2021 09:28 PM

Not called stealers for nowt...

I'm not surprised. Don't expect transparency and honesty from them.

It wasn't the only or main reason I switched to Tesla, but it was certainly a contributory factor, or at least a trigger. I got fed up being fleeced or talked down to by numerous wastes of space who added no value at all.

Clearly I'm a fan :ROFL:

sarg 29th October 2021 10:30 PM

Businesses make a profit shocker! :ROFL:

paulrstaylor 30th October 2021 08:57 AM

Cash discount isn't likely to happen, as that will remove the kick back and commission on selling an expensive PCP deal.....

notorious 30th October 2021 09:07 AM

Curious how Tesla helps with that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 167346)
I'm not surprised. Don't expect transparency and honesty from them.

It wasn't the only or main reason I switched to Tesla, but it was certainly a contributory factor, or at least a trigger. I got fed up being fleeced or talked down to by numerous wastes of space who added no value at all.

Clearly I'm a fan :ROFL:

tintin 30th October 2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 167349)
Curious how Tesla helps with that?

No dealer network >> no middlemen >> no lazy and useless suits who add no value. Simples.

notorious 30th October 2021 09:30 AM

Gotcha!

Roberto was on second hand market though.
Is Tesla any different there?

tintin 30th October 2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 167353)
Gotcha!

Roberto was on second hand market though.
Is Tesla any different there?

Tesla doesn't really do second-hand - my point was more about the main brand dealer networks: independents aren't half as bad...

notorious 30th October 2021 10:04 PM

+++

IT 31st October 2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberto (Post 167345)
£6500 profit

You're assuming that the dealer you visited, is the one he sold it to....He could have easily put to a trader, who slapped it through an auction and it picked up more costs along the way.

Then, the trader has expenses. Lots of them.

Showrooms, staff, warranties, goodwill, mot, tyres, cleaning, insurances, advertising, accounting, finance of the car in the first place. It all adds up.

If you want a cheaper car, you can avoid all of these going private, but you know that.

Its obviously a desirable car, or you wouldn't have gone to see it, so why would he want to let it go cheaper...

Since the advert of internet searches, the days of list it high and haggle are behind us. If you price too high, your market audience filter you out in their search. Most places now list at the bottom line and its take it or leave it.