A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My Winter Wheels (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10779)

moltuae 4th November 2015 03:03 PM

My Winter Wheels

7 Attachment(s)
Just got my spare set of FE wheels back from the refurbishers (AWR in Bury).

I thought I'd try something a little different this time. Since these are going to be my winter wheels, I decided to go a little darker -- nothing too dark, just something that would show the road salt and dirt less.

I asked for something like a light pewter/anthracite and, preferably, black on the inside, if possible. They weren't too sure if they could do it, so I think this was somewhat experimental, but I'm really pleased with the result.

The photos don't really do them justice -- in the right light they have a black/silver lead-like appearance that I think works well ...

Attachment 12079 Attachment 12080 Attachment 12081 Attachment 12082 Attachment 12083 Attachment 12084 Attachment 12085

What y'all think?

And, what would be a good winter tyre to put on these (standard 255/35 R20 FE) wheels? :)

Professor Peach 4th November 2015 03:26 PM

I think they look excellent! +++

Always liked a darker wheel :D

The_Laird 4th November 2015 05:04 PM

Really like them a lot!

David's8 4th November 2015 07:06 PM

My winter Fat 5s are similar in appearance in being gunmetal grey/anthracite - call it what you will - and are just great for the winter. I have just spent the last few days giving them a few coats of wax and then they will be going on. Well, whenever the warmest November for 70yrs shows a consistent drop in temperature!!
:ROFL:

HPsauce 4th November 2015 07:20 PM

I stick with 18's for winter and just let them develop a "natural patina". :o

They'll go on later this month, but not until I've done wedding car duties for #2 son. :cool:

tintin 4th November 2015 09:24 PM

Nice shade of grey ;). I'm also an 18" Winters man, as 20" winter tyres are too pricey for me for 4 months use. Are you looking at new or part-worn? If the latter, it's worth giving DM Tyres a call, though it's unlikely they'd have a matching set at this stage.

notorious 4th November 2015 09:31 PM

Nice wheels! Like the colour combination.

briang9 4th November 2015 09:59 PM

think they look stunning, I did think about doing mine similar to that a while back and used the car my plate came from as an example, however I dont think my all black set up would have looked as good:D

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=wheels

moltuae 5th November 2015 07:20 AM

Thanks guys :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 102013)
think they look stunning, I did think about doing mine similar to that a while back and used the car my plate came from as an example, however I dont think my all black set up would have looked as good:D

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=wheels

Those do look nice! I was considering something similar myself originally but the only way to achieve such a sharp black/silver contrast, it seems, is to have them diamond cut, which of course isn't a very durable finish and probably not the best choice for winter use.

These were instead done by powder coating the entire wheel in black first, then applying a layer of silver powder coat to the front only, without masking off the rest of the wheel. I was worried it would look dreadful, but I'm surprised how well it worked. It's not easy to see in the photos (I'll see if I can take some better ones later) but the result is softer blend of black and silver that gives a slight pewter effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 102009)
Nice shade of grey ;). I'm also an 18" Winters man, as 20" winter tyres are too pricey for me for 4 months use. Are you looking at new or part-worn? If the latter, it's worth giving DM Tyres a call, though it's unlikely they'd have a matching set at this stage.

I think 18s are certainly the wise choice for winter use. The main reason I chose to go with 20s is because I already had a spare set of FE wheels. I bought the spare set a while ago in my endeavours/obsession to accumulate spare parts now that supplies for these cars are beginning to dwindle. Having a spare set of the rarer FE wheels seemed like a good idea at the time, but I don't really have the space to keep a third set of wheels, so I figured I'd put the spare FEs to work as my winter set.

I think I'll probably buy a new set of tyres (probably from Oponeo). They seem to be around the same price I paid for my Pilot Super Sports (around £160-ish each) and I reckon, stored properly, I should get at least 2 winters out of them.

BADES 5th November 2015 10:57 AM

very nice look - i've been thinking of doing similar with my wheels, but alas NOT YET.

try TyreLeader