A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Driving bliss (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Speed limiter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1786)

Dezzy 10th May 2010 08:30 AM

Speed limiter

First of all THANKS to the Louts Elise (Exige i think):respekt: for making me stretch the A’s legs last night (sorry you couldn’t get past until I backed off:snigger:

It’s the quickest I’ve pushed the old girl so far but when I backed off and let that little Lotus past, what a wonderful sound that makes when it’s flat out. I mean it sounds like a real race car (just don’t look like one with a 5 meter executive 4 door saloon not letting it past):D I felt I little disappointed because I was only 5 mph away from experiencing what the speed limiter feels like, is it the same as the rev limiter. I should have took it there.:(

Conan_the_Librarian 10th May 2010 09:38 AM

Tsk Tsk:tuttut: Not taking it to the speed limiter! How could you?

ulfilias 10th May 2010 11:06 AM

Meep. They do shift somewhat and get there very quickly.

What stunned me is if you'd have floored it, it would have still probably dropped down a gear under kick down, even at those speeds.

Anyone go any idea what they top out at, sans limiter ?

Dezzy 10th May 2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulfilias (Post 11932)
Meep. They do shift somewhat and get there very quickly.

What stunned me is if you'd have floored it, it would have still probably dropped down a gear under kick down, even at those speeds.

Anyone go any idea what they top out at, sans limiter ?

My car only has a 4 speed box and i had it pinned to the floor, if it had kicked down there would have been bits of engine shooting out the exhaust.

I had it in my head they were limited to 155 read it somewhere, in owners book maybe.

S8yot 10th May 2010 12:53 PM

Autocar road test of the FL S8 - Genuine 159mph with the speed limiter!

Dezzy 10th May 2010 01:01 PM

I knew i shouldn't have backed off.

Singh 10th May 2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S8yot (Post 11938)
Autocar road test of the FL S8 - Genuine 159mph with the speed limiter!

Interesting, do you think you could scan that in for us? Also James told me the other day he had 170, his is de restricted.

Conan_the_Librarian 10th May 2010 02:53 PM

The A8 and S8 are geared for 186mph without the speed limiter. UK and US cars are limited to 155mph (maybe european to? Japanese and middle east cars arn't).

S8 achives the same speed with the extra 500rpm it has even though the gearing is lower.

Mr K 10th May 2010 02:55 PM

I worked out the theoretical top speed to be 186-188mph in 5th at the red line.

theres a derestricted one on youtube doing a claimed 186 on the autobhans.

Just_Ben 10th May 2010 05:06 PM

The speed limiter is just a soft-rev limit that is effective only in top gear. It doesn't feel like a rev limiter in that it doesn't switch in and out, it just closes the throttle as you approach the given engine/road speed.
My 90 hit's it's rev limiter in top gear at 8400rpm and it nearly shakes the car to bits!!!!! Not nice!