A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tyre recommendations? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15085)

hunker7 3rd July 2019 05:19 AM

Tyre recommendations?

Any recommendations when it comes to tyres? Been going between Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2s, Goodyear EfficientGrip or Eagle F1s. I do about 30k a year mostly motorway driving.

tintin 3rd July 2019 06:23 AM

Michelin Pilot Sports (any variant, really) for summer use, and Michelin Pilot Alpins for winter - I've had Dunlops on for a while, but they're noisier and have less grip.

HPsauce 3rd July 2019 07:38 AM

Totally agree on the MPS, I used to have MPSS and am now on the even better MPS4S.
For winter I'm maybe less fussy and notice little difference between premium brands, currently I have Pirelli Sottozero which work superbly in deep snow. +++

hunker7 3rd July 2019 10:13 AM

Thanks guys. Been looking at Michelin too but seems wasted on a motorway muncher :ROFL:

MikkiJayne 3rd July 2019 12:16 PM

Michelin Primacy is a good motorway tyre. I used to get 36K from a set on my old 3.7 on the v1 Pilot Primacy. They're up to Primacy 4 now. I see in their advertising that they claim they are 'safe when new, safe when worn' and that matches my experience too. Compare to Pirelli PZero which were epic when new and tried to kill you after they were about half worn :D

I run Goodyear Eagle F1 on the S8 but that only does 5K a year so grip and performance are more important than longevity. You'd probably need two sets a year of those!

Kumho Ecsta is a good midrange choice for motorway miles. Less than half the price of Michelins for a bit more than half the mileage.

hunker7 3rd July 2019 12:35 PM

Didn't consider primacy due to price, but mileage does appeal. Don't really fancy doing 2 tyre changes a year and I don't like cheap brands so that'll be expensive :ROFL: 68/69 dB is good rating too :rolleyes:

tintin 3rd July 2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunker7 (Post 151435)
Didn't consider primacy due to price, but mileage does appeal. Don't really fancy doing 2 tyre changes a year and I don't like cheap brands so that'll be expensive :ROFL: 68/69 dB is good rating too :rolleyes:

I've said this a few times before on here, but I haven't paid for a new tyre for any of my cars for about five years now: I always replace mine with really good partworns, which have never cost me more than £50 for a winter (Michelin PA4s/Pirelli Sottozeros), or £70 for a summer (Michelin PS/SSs or ContiSilents).

hunker7 3rd July 2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 151442)
I've said this a few times before on here, but I haven't paid for a new tyre for any of my cars for about five years now: I always replace mine with really good partworns, which have never cost me more than £50 for a winter (Michelin PA4s/Pirelli Sottozeros), or £70 for a summer (Michelin PS/SSs or ContiSilents).

:eek:

27litres 7th July 2019 10:55 PM

I used to run Kumho Ecsta's on my A4. Used to get 30-35k km (so 20-25k miles ish) from a set.
Found their grip level satisfactory in the wet, very good in the dry.

We don't run winters over here, so no experience in that regard.

pete-p 10th July 2019 11:56 AM

I've had Avon ZZ5 tyres on the rear of mine for a couple of years now. They have good reviews and I've not had any problems with them. They make them down the road from me too which is nice.