A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Got bored this afternoon - now what? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4687)

HPsauce 29th April 2012 05:10 PM

Got bored this afternoon - now what?

Well, as mentioned in another thread.........
and prompted by recent DVB-T discussions.......
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 29948)
I'll have to have a rummage in the boot sometime before April when Crystal Palace gives up on Analogue TV...

(OK I know it's now late April and CP has switched :o )

..... I've had my (version A) TV tuner out and plugged a set of red/white/yellow video/audio leads into the back before reassembly.

Then I connected up my video camera in the (open) boot, got in the car and tried the Aux input.
Nice sharp colour picture and clear sound too. I could heard the blackbirds singing in the drizzle. +++

So, what now? Remember I've only got 1 input and presumably it cuts off when I move (RNS-C) even on Aux?

I've seen someone (Amar?) install a reversing camera in the boot lid as a "mirror" of the keyhole. Not sure I'm desperate for that as my parking sensors work well and I'm always EXTREMELY careful where I park.

Or there's Digital TV, which I realise will need a separate remote control, but should be easy enough to wire in, assuming I can find a suitable 12V supply.
(there's what I assume is my Bose amp underneath the CD changer)

What would people recommend?

Nollywood 30th April 2012 07:21 AM

I would go for digital TV. Personally, a reverse camera is just a gimick. You don't really need one, unless you're a poor driver. Your car has PDC. If the car comes with reverse camera, great. If not, I wouldn't bother fitting one.

Of course, if you still wish to install one, you can fit a line-in splitter, which is switchable. These are available at Maplins or any good audio shop. You can mount the switch at the front of the car, or set up a control unit to detect source, and switch automatically.

I'm installing DVD and digital TV to mine, and both remote eyes will be removed from the PCB's, and hidden at the front within remote range. This is assuming the units I buy don't have extendable remote eyes. If I need to install more than two AV sources, I'll install a splitter.

HPsauce 30th April 2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nollywood (Post 39677)
I would go for digital TV. Personally, a reverse camera is just a gimick.

My thinking too. +++
Have you decided on a TV for yourself yet, if so what was the logic?

PsYcHe 30th April 2012 08:31 AM

Was chatting to the guy I bought my D3 from who has one in his new D4... Reckons that it's pretty gimmicky, but is great for reversing up to a caravan, or maybe a wall. Beyond that... Meh.

IT 30th April 2012 08:44 AM

I'd agree.... If you can drive properly, you shouldnt need a camera ;)

The one in the Q7 works brilliantly in the bright sunshine, but the first sign of rain and its a pita - Swithes off the perfectly useful graphical view of the parking sensors and replaces it with a misted up view of nothing....

Plus, its tough to know where to look. Instinctively I want to use my doors mirrors to reverse, but my brain says I should somehow use the Tv monitor that is on, showing me something, I end up with my eyes flicking between all these things, having less concentration on the job of reversing than I would have without it... +++

limoncello 30th April 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 39680)

The one in the Q7 works brilliantly in the bright sunshine, but the first sign of rain and its a pita - Swithes off the perfectly useful graphical view of the parking sensors and replaces it with a misted up view of nothing....

Plus, its tough to know where to look. Instinctively I want to use my doors mirrors to reverse, but my brain says I should somehow use the Tv monitor that is on, showing me something, I end up with my eyes flicking between all these things, having less concentration on the job of reversing than I would have without it... +++

thats a good advert for not bothering with the pain of fitting it, think il stick to getting a graphical display instead

Singh 30th April 2012 09:19 AM

Unlike the majority here, I think the reverse camera was the single most usefull feature on my 8, I didn't bother using my rear view when parking as I could see so much more through the camera, I really miss it.

HPsauce 11th May 2012 01:45 PM

DVB-T box acquired and under test

Well, I've bought a cheap DVB-T box off eBay and am playing with it in the house.
Lashed up a 12v supply from a router PSU and connected the aerial to one of the house TV aerial outlets with a short piece of wet string.
Seems to work, though the organisation of channels is a bit random, at least you can specify a sort sequence yourself so there's some logic available.

Small box about 11*8*3 cm with USB and SD card (for music, pictures and pre-recorded video).
Just been watching Practice 2 from Barcelona on it, now reviewing my Jaguar XK-R "thrash" around Rockingham in the drizzle last Saturday (on a USB stick).

Remote control operates it via a little window on the box and/or a plug-in remote on a 4-metre (adequate) lead.
Aerial is stupid little stubby 4" thing on a magnetic base with a 3-metre (reasonable) lead.

So, sometime soon I'll try to figure out how to fit it in the car. Any suggestions anyone on:

1. Power supply, ideally one that comes on if I turn the RNS-C on without the ignition key. But definitely not on with the car locked.

2. Making use of the built-in TV aerial, which I think has 4 funny little connectors onto the old analogue tuner.

3. Where to put it? Apart from the obvious space with the existing tuner etc. in the boot N/S I'm wondering about the rear armrest/cavity somehow?

limoncello 11th May 2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 40275)

So, sometime soon I'll try to figure out how to fit it in the car. Any suggestions anyone on:

1. Power supply, ideally one that comes on if I turn the RNS-C on without the ignition key. But definitely not on with the car locked.

2. Making use of the built-in TV aerial, which I think has 4 funny little connectors onto the old analogue tuner.

3. Where to put it? Apart from the obvious space with the existing tuner etc. in the boot N/S I'm wondering about the rear armrest/cavity somehow?

i bought the same thing a while ago, though my cars a D3, bought the IR in behind the back seat and tucked beside the centre headrest so was easy to control.

1. PSU - i used the small fuse box in the boot , tapping of the fuse that runs the MMi - dont know what you have in the d2
2. Check that you can do this with the antennas, the D3 tv tuner (and i suspect the d2 tuner) gives a voltage out of the antenna sockets to run the antennas, tapping in to them is not a good idea if this is the case, general consensus was that you couldnt use these, so instead i bought a sticky one and put on the back screen.
3. most likely place would be near the original tv tuner (arent you going to use the Aux socket to input video)

HPsauce 11th May 2012 02:53 PM

Thanks for the input, especially re the aerials. Does all the the wiring in the rear screen not reduce reception?

IIRC the fuses in the D2 boot are above the battery, so the opposite side to the tuner, but it's only a simple 2-core cable so no doubt easy to route.

Time to read the manual then get the multimeter out!

Yes I'll be using the Aux input, so 3 cables to run and being in the same space is pretty obvious choice and will probably be easier. I've already got a fairly long set in the back of the tuner anyway left over from testing.

I suspect arranging a decent aerial will be the main challenge, I don't want it strung along my nice platinum coloured alcantara rear shelf! :tuttut: