A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   chrome trim has gone milky? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1922)

alefustec 24th June 2010 05:25 PM

chrome trim has gone milky?

I have just had the S8 3 weeks now and tidying up trim etc - one thing is bugging me though, the chrome trim has white spots/milky look to it. Tried polishing and some of the marks faded but didn't really make much difference. Looked around the forum and seen that spraying them black is an option, but the car is silver and think it would ruin the look (plus want to keep it as original as possible).

Any ideas of how to bring them back to thier former glory? (obvioulsy buying all new trim sounds like it would be a VERY expensive option)?

notorious 24th June 2010 10:44 PM

Same problem here. I didn't see any write up how to change them. Heard changing those door chrome trims require complete doors disassembly from the inside, which is nightmare.

I wonder if this milky stuff is just a buildup on top of chrome (which should be washable or removable mechanically) or is it permanent damage to chrome, i.e. we actually see white plastic basement under the chrome?

Conan_the_Librarian 25th June 2010 05:27 AM

What you have is polished aluminium that has been anodised and covered with a lacquer. The milkyness is moisture getting into or under the lacquer. The only permanent method is to change or paint the trim.:(

alefustec 25th June 2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 12947)
What you have is polished aluminium that has been anodised and covered with a lacquer. The milkyness is moisture getting into or under the lacquer. The only permanent method is to change or paint the trim.:(

thanks, that saved me many fruitless hours polishing to no avail!!

I wonder if i can get them chromed (not sure if its possible with aluminium?), but it sounds like removing them from the car is 'fun'.........hmmm could be a 'live with it' or back to the paint option.....i'm guessing this is a common problem?

Conan_the_Librarian 26th June 2010 05:47 AM

it is very common on cars that have spent a lot of time outdoors. Darrenjoe90 has done a thread on his attempts to cure the problem.

Nollywood 20th August 2011 07:42 PM

The only way to get the trims shiny once more, is to remove the protective lacquer, then polish the raw aluminium to a bright finish.

The problem is once the lacquer's removed, you'll have to keep on top of your polishing. It may however be possible to purchase clear vinyl, and cover the fresh aluminium, protecting it from the elements. (Audi use it on lower areas of the rear wheel arches on certain models vulnerable to stone / grit chipping).

SilverS8 20th August 2011 09:23 PM

Hi.

Got the same issue on mine 2... I did the metall polish and it looks great for a while then its back to the polish again..

Since black wont match a silver car i'm woundering about Gun Metall grey.. Maybe someone with good skills could do Photoshop of Silver A8/S8 from the side with gun metall grey trims? :)

Hm...Would 3M Carbon on all that trim be to much F&F ?:D

Night Train 21st August 2011 07:04 PM

I'm just wondering if a rub on 'gun blue' from your local armoury would work, just a thought...

Dezzy 22nd August 2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nollywood (Post 26343)
The only way to get the trims shiny once more, is to remove the protective lacquer, then polish the raw aluminium to a bright finish.

The problem is once the lacquer's removed, you'll have to keep on top of your polishing. It may however be possible to purchase clear vinyl, and cover the fresh aluminium, protecting it from the elements. (Audi use it on lower areas of the rear wheel arches on certain models vulnerable to stone / grit chipping).

Varnish it, International Yacht Varnish or similar

Architex_mA8tey 22nd August 2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 26372)
Varnish it, International Yacht Varnish or similar

You'll be putting stripey boarding on the bonnet and boot next!! :D