A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   windscreen trim (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14868)

oldnick 30th April 2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 150077)
Do not even need a screwdriver, just pulls off using fingers.

ta muchly, will stand and watch the guy to make sure he doesn't attack it !

Dezzy 30th April 2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 150019)
I replaced my windscreen myself on PF D2 about 8 years ago and then about a month ago Budget windscreens replaced it again. Both times reused original trim.

+1 I have a screen replaced in Portsmouth, think it was autoglass, they reused the old trim OK

Goran 1st May 2019 02:38 PM

Glasstec replaced mine on 2 different D2's, no problem removing trim.

oldnick 4th May 2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 150019)
I replaced my windscreen myself on PF D2 about 8 years ago and then about a month ago Budget windscreens replaced it again. Both times reused original trim.

well done you !how long did it take ?
guy from autoglass turned up at 5pm yesterday and did the job
asked him how long it normaally took and he said he had just done 2 A4's and they took 45 minutes each
my car took took 2 hours !
an hour to get the old screen out ....with leather seats he didn't want to break it and after 19 years the adhesive was like concrete and he was determined to get it out in one piece...and did ; normally he uses a cord to cut the adhesive but it just broke so he had to change to a wire and even then struggled
so all's well that ends well , was lucky to get a guy with 30 years experience!

ainarssems 4th May 2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldnick (Post 150176)
well done you !how long did it take ?
guy from autoglass turned up at 5pm yesterday and did the job
asked him how long it normaally took and he said he had just done 2 A4's and they took 45 minutes each
my car took took 2 hours !
an hour to get the old screen out ....with leather seats he didn't want to break it and after 19 years the adhesive was like concrete and he was determined to get it out in one piece...and did ; normally he uses a cord to cut the adhesive but it just broke so he had to change to a wire and even then struggled
so all's well that ends well , was lucky to get a guy with 30 years experience!

When I did it myself it took full day most of time getting the old screen out and then touching up any scratches with primer and waiting for it to dry.

Budget Windscreens guy did in about 30 minutes. Van had both Budget Windscreens and National Windscreens decals on it but Budget windscreens was £234 ( or was it £243?), National quoted £700+ and Autoglas £1200+. When I did it myself it was £40 for glass and £10 for glue.