A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   windscreen trim (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14868)

oldnick 2nd April 2019 02:34 PM

windscreen trim

having a crack in my windscreen I arranged to have it changed

my insurance company LV has a deal with autoglass to do this but autoglass have cancelled the job for the moment saying that the moulding is obsolete but they will search for another supplier as it cannot be re-used

what's the solution ?

MikkiJayne 2nd April 2019 02:48 PM

TPS confirm no UK stock, but it is still available to order from Germany which can take up to 2 weeks. Retail price is £285 + vat!

4D0 853 299F 01C

oldnick 2nd April 2019 03:08 PM

thanks mikki , it's the obsolete bit that most worried me !

The_Laird 2nd April 2019 05:05 PM

They eventually got one for me a couple of years ago, but it took a lot of hassle

barzya8 3rd April 2019 01:47 PM

Nationwide Motorglass fitted a new screen and surround to my 2002 S8 about 18 months ago. They had to come back to fit the new screen trim as the original one they bought to use, did not fit. They may be able to advise where they got theirs from. They also fitted an OEM screen under my insurance as well. Hope this helps :cool:

moltuae 4th April 2019 08:08 AM

One of my customers is a windscreen repair/replacement business. I've asked them to look into this for me.

They've mentioned that a LHD part might be readily available. Is the LHD trim any different to the RHD trim?

MikkiJayne 4th April 2019 08:17 AM

No, its not handed.

moltuae 4th April 2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 149317)
No, its not handed.

Great thanks +++

oldnick 4th April 2019 04:19 PM

had a phone call from autoglass at 9am today
their head office has found one ...in belgium!
they estimate 2 weeks delivery ...but hey ho!
I wonder whether the uk TPS information is correct about obsolete is actually correct ?

MikkiJayne 4th April 2019 04:56 PM

Its not obsolete - there just aren't any in the UK. TPS can still order them from Germany with a 7-10 day lead time.

oldnick 5th April 2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 149334)
Its not obsolete - there just aren't any in the UK. TPS can still order them from Germany with a 7-10 day lead time.

not surprised mikki , don't know which branch of TPS you deal with but when ~I phoned the southampton branch to check they confirmed obsolete , no longer possible to obtain from germany ; probably this branch my local autoglass branch contacted !

MikkiJayne 5th April 2019 11:32 AM

Mine is Exeter. Odd that they are getting different results, although sometimes things show as available until you try and order them, at which point they show obsolete. Maybe my guys were just looking on the computer and Southampton tried to order it?

We need to ask one of our German friends to check with their dealer instead - that's usually definitive.

oldnick 5th April 2019 04:22 PM

have Emailed VAG milton keynes ,as TPS is their subsidiary they should know!

oldnick 10th April 2019 05:09 PM

reply from VAG ...as your local audi dealer
gee thanks

oldnick 25th April 2019 03:34 PM

part finally arrived from belgium....broken in half !

contacted the local audi centre .....the part was withdrawn on 01/02/19 and can no longer be ordered as stated by tps [ was surprised they don't order from tps although supplied through the same german warehouse]

phoned the manager at autoglass , they are still searching europe for somone with the part someone probably got one somewhere ; suggested as a backstop used one from our hosts .....he said that they never fit used parts and they cannot fit without one as there are tags that go under the glass

oldnick 26th April 2019 04:26 PM

as Alice said .....curiouser and curiouser
spoke to a nice lady at Prestige who went down to the workshop and had a look at this with one of the staff

apparently on a D2 there are metal clips riveted to the body , screen is bonded on , the clips hold the plastic trip which apparently has metal clips to match

did this sound correct in which case Autoglass are talking a load of balls!

has anyone seen one of these fitted?

I can see that if someone breaks a clip off the plastic trim when removing you need a replacement

MikkiJayne 26th April 2019 04:35 PM

Funnily enough, I did think they were talking a load of rubbish. I believe people have taken the trim out and repainted it before so its not a one-use thing. The same applies to the trims on other models too - they pop them out and put them back when the glass is done.

ainarssems 26th April 2019 04:37 PM

I replaced my windscreen myself on PF D2 about 8 years ago and then about a month ago Budget windscreens replaced it again. Both times reused original trim.

oldnick 30th April 2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 150019)
I replaced my windscreen myself on PF D2 about 8 years ago and then about a month ago Budget windscreens replaced it again. Both times reused original trim.

have contacted autoglass again and told them what you said ...they are going to send someone on saturday and have a go

how did you get the trim off ?does it just lever off with a screwdriver starting on the bottom corners?

ainarssems 30th April 2019 11:16 AM

Do not even need a screwdriver, just pulls off using fingers.

oldnick 30th April 2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 150077)
Do not even need a screwdriver, just pulls off using fingers.

ta muchly, will stand and watch the guy to make sure he doesn't attack it !

Dezzy 30th April 2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

+1 I have a screen replaced in Portsmouth, think it was autoglass, they reused the old trim OK

Goran 1st May 2019 02:38 PM

Glasstec replaced mine on 2 different D2's, no problem removing trim.

oldnick 4th May 2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

well done you !how long did it take ?
guy from autoglass turned up at 5pm yesterday and did the job
asked him how long it normaally took and he said he had just done 2 A4's and they took 45 minutes each
my car took took 2 hours !
an hour to get the old screen out ....with leather seats he didn't want to break it and after 19 years the adhesive was like concrete and he was determined to get it out in one piece...and did ; normally he uses a cord to cut the adhesive but it just broke so he had to change to a wire and even then struggled
so all's well that ends well , was lucky to get a guy with 30 years experience!

ainarssems 4th May 2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldnick (Post 150176)
well done you !how long did it take ?
guy from autoglass turned up at 5pm yesterday and did the job
asked him how long it normaally took and he said he had just done 2 A4's and they took 45 minutes each
my car took took 2 hours !
an hour to get the old screen out ....with leather seats he didn't want to break it and after 19 years the adhesive was like concrete and he was determined to get it out in one piece...and did ; normally he uses a cord to cut the adhesive but it just broke so he had to change to a wire and even then struggled
so all's well that ends well , was lucky to get a guy with 30 years experience!

When I did it myself it took full day most of time getting the old screen out and then touching up any scratches with primer and waiting for it to dry.

Budget Windscreens guy did in about 30 minutes. Van had both Budget Windscreens and National Windscreens decals on it but Budget windscreens was £234 ( or was it £243?), National quoted £700+ and Autoglas £1200+. When I did it myself it was £40 for glass and £10 for glue.