A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Oops! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13623)

tintin 20th November 2017 02:41 PM

Oops!

1 Attachment(s)
It appears I don't know my own strength (or maybe it was just stiff ;)). Either way, the bonnet release cable - though still attached to something - seems to now be detached from the bonnet end of the cable - see photo.

Anyone on here know how to fix this?

MikkiJayne 20th November 2017 04:49 PM

Oooer thats going to be interesting if its come adrift under the bonnet. I'll have a poke around in a bit and see if I can see any way to get to the mechanism with the bonnet shut.

PsYcHe 21st November 2017 01:40 PM

I'm sure I've seen posts on this elsewhere. I think if you can get the under tray off and hands up the front of the engine, it can be released.

briang9 21st November 2017 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the mechanic I use managed to get mine open by taking the front bumper off..not too sure what he did..can ask him when we get back next weekend, otherwise might be.....these:eek::eek:

moltuae 22nd November 2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 135116)
otherwise might be.....these:eek::eek:

tin snips? .... or tintin snips?

Good luck Stephen.

The bonnet release mechanism is not the best. I always dread the thought of it breaking every time I open it.

Architex_mA8tey 22nd November 2017 07:30 AM

Me too - I have to say that every time I have work done on the car and remember to mention it, I ask for anything that can be on the whole bonnet release mechanism both ends to be greased / lubricated etc

Dezzy 22nd November 2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 135125)
Me too - I have to say that every time I have work done on the car and remember to mention it, I ask for anything that can be on the whole bonnet release mechanism both ends to be greased / lubricated etc

Is it worth running a second "emergency cable" just in case. Rip an old bike apart for it's brake cable type thing.

MikkiJayne 23rd November 2017 01:34 PM

I had a look at mine earlier. It might be possible to get to the passenger side lever from underneath if you have Mr Tickle arms, up in front of the ABS unit. I can't see any way to get to the driver's side lever though as its almost inside the intake duct and just above the engine snubber and alternator. The only thing I can think of is to poke a wire coat hanger between the headlight and bonnet to try and grab the lever.

Taking the bumper off might give access under the headlights which would at least mean you could do it with shorter arms.

tintin 23rd November 2017 09:07 PM

Thanks all - very helpful advice - not massively urgent, other than that I also have an (intermittent...) red warning light about low oil levels :-(.
I've not really taken a close look at trying to free it yet, and won't do until next week, but will have a go then.

tintin 11th December 2017 06:17 PM

Looks like I got lucky - the cable break was accessible from inside the passenger cable, so not as big an issue as it could have been - £12 for a new cable plus an hours labour to fit it. Phew!...