A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Battery replacement - is there a way to do it? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16881)

The_Laird 22nd December 2022 06:24 PM

Battery replacement - is there a way to do it?

I had to replace the battery again today (I had 3 Yuassa batteries under their 5-year guarantee) and, boy, is that a pain! I always end up trapping the positive cable at the side of the battery, and it won’t come out. So the battery has to come out to try again. This time, I got SWMBO to hold the positive cable aside with a thin piece of wood whilst she sat in the boo! And that finally worked!

Who on earth designed this stupid location for the battery - just another inch on the battery compartment would make it so much easier.

Or is there a way of doing this that I’m too daft to have discovered?

MikkiJayne 22nd December 2022 06:56 PM

Its a hateful process. I use a piece of string to tie the positive terminal to the boot hinge and then lean over the wing and drop the battery in at 45 degrees. Its still a pain in the arse.

The_Laird 22nd December 2022 07:05 PM

Mine is a serious pain in the back! :D

I could hardly get out of bed this morning (compounded by six pints and a couple of drams at our village Christmas party in the church last night :o)

Nognar 22nd December 2022 07:54 PM

Bungee cord +++

Yuasa Silver batteries have caused me many headaches in my S8.

Now running a Varta Silver and it’s been excellent +++

HPsauce 22nd December 2022 09:39 PM

The last time I replaced the battery, Adrian (Adrian_E here I think) very kindly offered to procure and fit it for me! +++
Mainly so we could have a "mini-meet" at his house. :cool:
He knew how to do it easily and between us it was a quick and easy job.
I just don't recall any "tricks of the trade" he used unfortunately. :-(

Adrian, if you spot this post, please do tell! :D

tintin 22nd December 2022 10:56 PM

I've always just got the supplier (either Kwikfit or Halfords...) to do this for me. Or am I missing something?

David's8 23rd December 2022 07:32 AM

I have done this several times (having had poor experience with Yuasa batteries) and tying the positive lead back and leaning over the wing seems to be the least painful way as the wing takes some of the strain out of it. I have had problems with fitting the gas escape pipe though which is fiddly.

Adrian E 23rd December 2022 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 171544)
Adrian, if you spot this post, please do tell! :D

It’s been a good few years but from memory I gave up trying to fit it through the hatch and worked out the easiest way to remove the entire right boot side trim. From memory the black plastic around the lock catch has to come off first (there’s 3 plastic fixings from memory to avoid breaking), which then allows you to swivel the side trim out of the way without actually removing it from further into the boot. Gives you a nice big slot to fit the battery in then

HPsauce 23rd December 2022 01:47 PM

That rings a bell. +++ Thanks Adrian. :cool:

spannerrash 23rd December 2022 03:58 PM

I pretty much take mine out every winter and struggle with it every time. Thought it was just me. :-(