A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   ECU problem (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13877)

RS6 3rd March 2018 10:01 PM

Audi seem a joke! :Confused:

Hope you can find a better place to take the car! they seem to be making it up as they go along (maybe i have missed something), what kind of vagcom is that!
most of use VAG-COM 409.1? so many better places in the UK :(

MikkiJayne 4th March 2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS6 (Post 138526)
Audi seem a joke! :Confused:

Hope you can find a better place to take the car! they seem to be making it up as they go along (maybe i have missed something), what kind of vagcom is that!
most of use VAG-COM 409.1? so many better places in the UK :(

Das original +++ The very first of their diagnostic tools, the 1551:

https://www.njuskalo.hr/image-bigger...a-27179039.jpg

Sadly mine died years ago, but I still have the 2x2 adapter from it for pre-OBDII cars like the Corrado and Audi V8 :)

Once canbus came along they moved to a PC-based system:

http://autotecnic.co.uk/wp-content/u.../VAS-5051B.jpg

http://knoppix.net/store/img-large/s...1530271857.jpg

A bit odd that a dealer would use a 1551 on an S8. Perhaps they think its so old it can't talk to the 5051? :Confused:

Regulus 4th March 2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 138530)
A bit odd that a dealer would use a 1551 on an S8. Perhaps they think its so old it can't talk to the 5051? :Confused:

I agree. They shouldn't guess, they should know.

So I wrote them an e-mail yesterday. I explained that I own a Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-NET, and attached the latest scan log which I did after I got the car back from the service. And two other logs I had access to.

In addition I mentioned the VAS 5051/5052 and VAS 6150. Suggesting that it shouldn't be any difficulty connecting a newer instrument than the VAG 1551.

Regulus 6th March 2018 11:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got the car back and drove it home +++

They replaced a multi purpose relay 4H0951253A.

From what I can see on the bill, there is a control unit for the fuel injection as well. But I can't figure it out. 24701900
*edit - probably the work removing and installing the ECU

Anyway, the total charge ended up at 5006 SEK :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldnick (Post 138497)
what about the bill for changing the fuel pump ???

They didn't charge me for it. They left the new fuel pump installed. And I got the old fuel pump back as well +++
Man, is that a large unit?!

At the moment I am charging the battery. I ran a quick test with the VSCD on my iPad, and I didn't like the result.

I am really, really happy to have the car back :love:

Architex_mA8tey 6th March 2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regulus (Post 138618)
I got the car back and drove it home +++

They replaced a multi purpose relay 4H0951253A.

From what I can see on the bill, there is a control unit for the fuel injection as well. But I can't figure it out. 24701900
*edit - probably the work removing and installing the ECU

Anyway, the total charge ended up at 5006 SEK :)

They didn't charge me for it. They left the new fuel pump installed. And I got the old fuel pump back as well +++
Man, is that a large unit?!

At the moment I am charging the battery. I ran a quick test with the VSCD on my iPad, and I didn't like the result.

I am really, really happy to have the car back :love:

Oh great thats a result, hopefully it scans ok for you - the fuel pump is an added bonus if its free! +++

MikkiJayne 6th March 2018 12:49 PM

That's great news +++ Remarkably decent of them to have not charged for their faulty diagnosis. A bonus of going to Audi at least - a dealership is big enough to have absorbed the cost with barely a blip whereas an independent may not have been so magnanimous. Still, a decent indy might have got it right in the first place

Hopefully we will see you in June now :)

Regulus 8th March 2018 03:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
As I have mentioned, I ran a scan after I got the car back which looked bad.
I'll attach a (pdf) screenshot of the engine faults, from my iPad.

After considering my options, I decided to erase the faults and have a look again after a drive.
A big thank you MJ for helping me to understand that all the errors had to be somewhat connected +++

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 137323)
Wow :eek: Its interesting that most of the modules simply say 'electrical malfunction' rather than voltage too high or low. That might be a prefacelift thing though. ME7 in the facelifts is a little more verbose in its error messages.

I think the first things I would be looking at are the battery, alternator, and earth connections, particularly the earth strap from engine to body. Then probably monitor the battery voltage with a multimeter to see what its doing.

Some of those codes like the immobiliser and alarm are pretty normal. The open or short codes are likely caused by whatever is also triggering the electrical malfunction codes, in modules which aren't smart enough to detect a voltage issue.

I ran a full auto scan again today. And I am relieved to see that a lot of the reported faults didn't return.

Which brings me back to the Audi dealer. Why didn't they reset the faults when they serviced, and then made the repairs :Confused:

Was VAG 1551 the only tool they had? Weird

tc4332 8th March 2018 06:28 PM

Look at the size difference between the two PDFs.
That tells me that the earlier one is basically full of crap.
I've learnt that when a load of oddball DTCs are reported then it is most likely a single glitch that has replicated faults throughout the vehicle system. I just clear them down and start again.
BTW, I don't rely on the "Clear All DTCs" in VCDS, I clear the faulty modules individually. Sometimes I've had to go back again to clear odd ones that have not fully cleared on the first pass, possibly something to do with the modules not communicating correctly and assuming strange faults.
Another load of waffle from a boring old fahrt :D

Regulus 8th March 2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 138693)
Look at the size difference between the two PDFs.
That tells me that the earlier one is basically full of crap.

The larger file size is down to me taking a screenshot jpg and exporting it to pdf, I believe.

Quote:

BTW, I don't rely on the "Clear All DTCs" in VCDS, I clear the faulty modules individually. Sometimes I've had to go back again to clear odd ones that have not fully cleared on the first pass, possibly something to do with the modules not communicating correctly and assuming strange faults.
:D
I haven't used VCDS enough to understand much at all. But I did clear out engine and climate faults individually. The Clear All DTCs have felt to drastic so far.