A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   no longer a flasher (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12392)

oldnick 5th December 2016 12:02 PM

no longer a flasher

in an attempt to cure a parasitic drain a short while ago I sought out the alarm and finding the battery had destroyed the circuit board I removed the entire alarm ...no difference at all

the remote locking continued to operate normally ...one flash on locking , two on unlocking

yesterday went to lock the car ....no flash ; tried again , two flashes ; wtf ?
closer investigation showed that , despite the lack of a flash the car locks correctly then unlocks correctly with two flashes

despite the fact that locking /unlocking correctly with flashes since the removal of the alarm could this be connected with the problem ? any ideas anyone ?

pete-p 5th December 2016 12:24 PM

Could the lack of flash be a microswitch somewhere thinking a door is open and this be linked to the battery drain? I know that if I don't have a door shut properly the alarm doesn't chirp, prompting me to check which one is still slightly open. I've not noticed whether it flashes though.

oldnick 5th December 2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete-p (Post 120777)
Could the lack of flash be a microswitch somewhere thinking a door is open and this be linked to the battery drain? I know that if I don't have a door shut properly the alarm doesn't chirp, prompting me to check which one is still slightly open. I've not noticed whether it flashes though.

thanks pete ...went and opened the doors and shut again ...no change

boot shut properly but opened and shut again....GOAL

probably the ice we have had

HPsauce 5th December 2016 02:33 PM

Just a word of warning on the boot; there's some small nylon components inside that can wear away and/or break resulting in havoc. e.g. no access to boot!
Hopefully this isn't an early symptom of that, but have a good look and test/operate the boot latch with the boot open. If you hear anything loose it may be heading that way.
If it's just the microswitch itself that's playing up I have a small collection of spare ones. Due to having multiple failed boot latches caused by worn mechanical bits (not the microswitch).

oldnick 5th December 2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 120786)
Just a word of warning on the boot; there's some small nylon components inside that can wear away and/or break resulting in havoc. e.g. no access to boot!
Hopefully this isn't an early symptom of that, but have a good look and test/operate the boot latch with the boot open. If you hear anything loose it may be heading that way.
If it's just the microswitch itself that's playing up I have a small collection of spare ones. Due to having multiple failed boot latches caused by worn mechanical bits (not the microswitch).

thanks andrew , will have a look see

have already performed the boot lid mod as per a recent thread lol

RICKY D 5th December 2016 09:30 PM

Had this on my previous S8 which turned out to be a faulty hazard switch.

Had similar on my current S8 as well which also turned out to be a faulty hazard switch but my alarm has never worked on this car?