A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Engine mounts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15502)

Versace 8th February 2020 05:15 PM

Engine mounts

1 Attachment(s)
Hello community,

I finally acquired a D3, 4.2 40V BFM in September last year, but have not been driving with it very much as my daily beater ist a D2 4.2 40V...
After doing some maintainance on it (broken water pump on the oil cooler) I was asking myself why there are no connectors on the "electric" engine mounts. Thus the engine runs smooth as silk, no codes in VCDS...?? :Confused: But a cable attached to the aluminium on the mount, that ends wit a blank connector...
The same thing on the passengers side (LHD) but without any cable even close to the mount...
Picture in attachment...

MikkiJayne 8th February 2020 05:36 PM

Probably the solenoid in the engine mounts failed so someone replaced it with a resistor (in the bare plug) instead of replacing the mount.

Versace 8th February 2020 06:04 PM

What about on the passenger side? There is no cable at all :Confused:

MikkiJayne 8th February 2020 06:15 PM

Tucked away somewhere?

Versace 8th February 2020 07:06 PM

I will give it a good look as the car is without bumper and the oil cooler/filter right now...

snapdragon 9th February 2020 07:20 AM

These mounts all failed very quickly (couple of years) and there is/was an Audi TSB to replace them with terminators. What year is the car out of interest, as I'm not sure this was a dealer-fit workaround and/or production change.

Versace 12th February 2020 12:22 PM

The car is a 2004. It seems like it was replaced at Audi, as everything looks so original, the connector with the resistor has an Audi sticker on it :hammer: And an LED lamp inside...
But the engine runs seamles, smooth and no vibrations.
I will replace them anyway but they are so expensive :mad:
We have found the other cable too!

Joe2.0E 1st March 2020 06:41 PM

I had an 04 D3 and from memory these hydraulic mounts failed when the car was about 6 years old. (Failed meaning they threw an error code on diagnostics when car was scanned. As they were crazy money and could only be got new at the time, I decided against replacing at the time.
I then kept the car for several more years and never had any issue with vibration or similar. I’d leave them to be honest.

snapdragon 1st March 2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Versace (Post 155614)
I will replace them anyway but they are so expensive :mad:

Don't get used ones as they will also be faulty. New ones are probably a waste of money as they will probably only last a couple of years. My first failed at 3.5 years and don't forget these new parts have been sat on a shelf deteriorating for 10+ years.

27litres 6th March 2020 04:45 AM

The FL D2's have similar mounts.
As they're hydraulic, I just thought the electrics were a sensor for when the mount failed?

I didn't think they were or are in any way "active"...