A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A8 / S8 Generic Posts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   In the market for a D3 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4451)

A8_Tony 22nd March 2012 05:14 PM

In the market for a D3

Guys and gals,

I'm in the market for a D3 TDi. Have been looking around and think that the 3.0 is the one I need to go for, but I've got a few questions:

1. SE/Sport - Can someone tell me the differences on these? I keep seeing SE's with Sport seats, are they identical to those in the Sport?
2. Do all of the D3's come with adaptive suspension?
3. Having looked around there are some nice models out here, but there are some with horrendous mileage too. Are there any major issues to watch out for on the high milers?
4. Is there an Audi Multi Media option that allows you to use SD cards in the D3? If there is, when was it fitted from, and is it possible to retro-fit to earlier gen cars?
5. Why are there so few dark colour/light interior cars out there?????
6. What is a realistic MPG figure I can expect from the 3.0? Is it perhaps worth looking at a 4.0/4.2 instead for the extra oomph? I'll be doing plenty of miles in her, so will need to balance power/economy appropriately :(
7. If I find an SE that I really like, I'll probably go for that, then drop it electronically, and find either a Sport/S8 bumper for the front end. I'm guessing these are a nice straight swap, also taking the lines on the bonnet into consideration?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

limoncello 22nd March 2012 05:59 PM

Tony

cant answer all your questions, many more knowledgable people on here who will, i wish i had asked a few before i bought mine

but
6, my 3.0 tdi reports about 40 to 42 on a run Leeds to London, can drop sharply running round town and whether this is accurate or not i dont know but im quite happy with it for the size of the car

thebluewhale 22nd March 2012 07:05 PM

Tony,

If you can hang on for a couple of weeks Ian will probably be selling his. He's had it about a month now. :D

PsYcHe 22nd March 2012 07:56 PM

1. SE/Sport - Can someone tell me the differences on these? I keep seeing SE's with Sport seats, are they identical to those in the Sport?

There's the 'flat' seats, the comfort seats (look like sport, but bolsters slightly smaller) and the 'sport' seats which are like the old D2 ones though not as comfy.

2. Do all of the D3's come with adaptive suspension?

Yes.. Either normal or sport

3. Having looked around there are some nice models out here, but there are some with horrendous mileage too. Are there any major issues to watch out for on the high milers?

Nothing really apart from wear and tear, but suspension is not cheap, though the usual ARBs etc are normal costs. 4.0TDi can eat the manifold at a grand a go plus any damage.

4. Is there an Audi Multi Media option that allows you to use SD cards in the D3? If there is, when was it fitted from, and is it possible to retro-fit to earlier gen cars?

The AMI with the USB cable and an SD to USB adapter, though better to go with a USB protable HDD :) Easy to retrofit as long as the MMI software is updated.

5. Why are there so few dark colour/light interior cars out there?????

Personal choice.. I have one :)

6. What is a realistic MPG figure I can expect from the 3.0? Is it perhaps worth looking at a 4.0/4.2 instead for the extra oomph? I'll be doing plenty of miles in her, so will need to balance power/economy appropriately

3.0 is enough.. I was getting mid-30s mpg at 85 on cruise in the 4.2Tdi, mid 20s in the 4.2 petrol.

7. If I find an SE that I really like, I'll probably go for that, then drop it electronically, and find either a Sport/S8 bumper for the front end. I'm guessing these are a nice straight swap, also taking the lines on the bonnet into consideration?

S8 is different, sport bumper is the same AFAIK.

Or buy my old 4.2 petrol with all the trimmings, sport suspension, ACC which is a must for long journeys and save the change for the fuel difference :)

A8_Tony 22nd March 2012 08:10 PM

[quote]Or buy my old 4.2 petrol with all the trimmings, sport suspension, ACC which is a must for long journeys and save the change for the fuel difference [//quote]

If that were an option, I'd just run my D2 :P ;P

How much are you looking for it BTW?

PsYcHe 22nd March 2012 08:13 PM

Ad here :) Had some interest from ebay, but it's at the bottom of what I'd sell it at, so not so sure.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4254

IT 22nd March 2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebluewhale (Post 37286)
Tony,

If you can hang on for a couple of weeks Ian will probably be selling his. He's had it about a month now. :D

Har har, very funny..... although completely true...

I've already checked with Amar, who's not in a position to let his rocket ship go yet, so it will be on the open market when I get a moment..... :rolleyes:

kal_ay 22nd March 2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 37299)
Har har, very funny..... although completely true...

What's next Ian?V10?

IT 22nd March 2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kal_ay (Post 37300)
What's next Ian?V10?

Defo petrol, and plenty of horses. Nothing decided yet. I so nearly got in touch today to see if you were about for a ganders at yours - I'm in Brum tonight - But ran out of time as usual...

..... plus not sure i need to experience a V10, might prove costly :ROFL:

sarg 22nd March 2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 37299)
so it will be on the open market when I get a moment..... :rolleyes:

that is ridiculous, you've only had it 5 minutes :tuttut: