A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   "How to" Central locking pump removal and motor change. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9140)

SilverS8 17th November 2014 09:05 PM

"How to" Central locking pump removal and motor change.

4 Attachment(s)
Hi.

My FL S8 started blowing the fuses for power windows and central locking just by pressing they keyfob some time back. so here is how I fixed it.

The 00 S8 has a unit 8L0 862 257 G which seems hard to get and overpriced so i managed to get a hold of a similar unit with L. According to Etka G replaces L so this should be straight forward but thats not the fact i'm afraid. it would not work on remote opening/closing

Location of the pump is behind the CD Changer on the left side (Uk pass side). Remove the CD Changer and Nav unit along with the metal pieces its mounted to. Disconnect any wires. there are 2 plastic plugs facing down from the top of the booth. gently pull the middle piece out and remove the remaining.When done the interior can be pulled out plenty enough to get to the pump out which you will find stuffed in a foamy "House". Remove and disconnect the 3 connectors and the 2 vacuum lines

SilverS8 17th November 2014 09:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Then you have your pump out and ready for inspection.

Carefully pry the cover off(it's easy to see how they are locked in place)

SilverS8 17th November 2014 09:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Gently wiggle out the circuit board, by pushing carefully on the connectors it almost falls out.

I immediatly saw the difference on the circuit boards and no wonder the L unit wasn't a straight swap.

Since my pump surely had some electrical difficulties i opened up the cover of the pump/motor (Three screws ) carefully lifted the lid and did quickly see what caused all the fuss.. The plate that moves around was shed to pieces, most likely stopping the motor from turning and therefor causing the fuses to go bye-bye.

SilverS8 17th November 2014 09:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Remove the motor from the housing by pushing down the 4 rubber tips on the top. I used a regular flat scredriver. At the same time wiggle carefully out the vacuum pipe(light force with a plier might help)

Once removed from both units, use a small plier or a knife to free the cables from the motor housing(easier then cutting and soldering back togeher)
Or if you love soldering is possible to remove the complete cable directly from the circuit board :)

I did open the motor that was working in the L unit but no pics of that i'm afraid

After you have figured how you will do the cables, put the new/exchange motor back into the housing, pull the rubber tips all the way up until you see that they are in place, at the same time carefully put the plastic pipe back in where it was be and insert circuit board before snapping the bottom cover bak on.

Then its ready for installation and all should be good.

Since i could only upload thumbnails any moderator are welcome to alter this thread in order the make it more understandable if needed

Architex_mA8tey 19th November 2014 09:15 PM

Thanks for the write up! Added to sticky +++

Alluminio 4th March 2015 01:35 PM

Another big thumbs-up to SilverS8 for this thread; my central locking pump failed a few days ago and with this write-up and the images (and a repair kit form Ebay) the pump is now back to 100%.