A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Testing seat adjustment motors (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12481)

green A8 29th December 2016 12:00 PM

Testing seat adjustment motors

I seem to remember that this can be done but have never tried.

I'm just wondering if I can test the adjustment motors in a pair of front seats I've been offered, with them out of the car. The seats owner tells me that I need to connect power to the red two pin connector block. Is this correct I don't want to set the air bags off by accident:hammer: The seats are Recaro type taken out of a 1998/9 PF S8

Thanks in advance for any help offered

MikkiJayne 29th December 2016 01:00 PM

Yes you can. The airbag is the small yellow connector so avoid that and you'll be fine. I have a 'pondering chair' in the workshop which is a Recaro mounted on castors, with the adjustment motors hooked up to a battery so it still moves :D I'll grab a pic of the connector this afternoon if I get a chance +++

Ameiseuk 29th December 2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 121933)
Yes you can. The airbag is the small yellow connector so avoid that and you'll be fine. I have a 'pondering chair' in the workshop which is a Recaro mounted on castors, with the adjustment motors hooked up to a battery so it still moves :D I'll grab a pic of the connector this afternoon if I get a chance +++

I gotta get me one of those!!

My pondering chair is an old bar stool from our old kitchen

johnny_quattro 29th December 2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 121933)

MJ - I'd be quite interested to see this photo too. You may or may not be aware that I've recently swapped the seats in my A8L and have the front and rears sitting in a friend's garage, awaiting sale or 'reallocation'. Castors sound like a great idea. The old seats are heated too although this may drain the supply battery at an alarming rate. Ideally it would be great if I could adjust the seat AND heat it if the need arises - a friend of mine is interested in having them for his man cave ;-)

Cheers, John G

moltuae 29th December 2016 07:30 PM

I thought this was a pondering chair.

I've considered making a chair for my workshop from a D2 Recaro seat a few times. I was thinking I might try combining the base from an old gas-lift chair to raise it to bench height. Not sure how stable that would be though ... might need stabilisers to prevent it toppling :D

Architex_mA8tey 29th December 2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 121960)
I thought this was a pondering chair.

I've considered making a chair for my workshop from a D2 Recaro seat a few times. I was thinking I might try combining the base from an old gas-lift chair to raise it to bench height. Not sure how stable that would be though ... might need stabilisers to prevent it toppling :D

I think that both TinTin and Roberto both have re-used D2 recaros in this way for recreational seating! +++