A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   exterior door handle lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11306)

Rick 10th March 2016 01:53 AM

exterior door handle lights

Another issue i have is the exterior under handle lights on my S8
nothing glows under the drivers handle and the other 3 have just 1 light glowing.
my dads S8 has 2 lights under each handle, are they easy to change/repair?
or is this a function to be played about with on VCDS??

cheers

ScottD3 10th March 2016 06:17 AM

Its a single LED in the base of the handle that sends light down two illumination tubes (lacking the correct word) that sens like to the end.

You can see 2 dome clear bits of plastic on the left and right of the door handle.
This part can be replaced when you take the handle out.
Or someone just painted over the plastic bits.

Rick 10th March 2016 05:04 PM

Lovely cheers I will get a small flathead and see if they are painted over by scraping a bit away. I thought they were an optic of sorts, so not sure why only one end would light up as the usually work with one Light being sent down an optic thingy...

aTOMic 19th November 2016 06:53 PM

Do all D3s have the under-handle light? I never noticed it on my cars.

mcs 19th November 2016 07:55 PM

It depends on spec in your country.

Here, they were part of the "Exterior Light Package" which was door handle lights and led puddle lamps under the mirrors.

Lots of D3 cars missed out though.

M-A8 19th November 2016 08:01 PM

It was an option.
Sometimes, they are working and are not painted over - they just have years of dirt sitting on the face of them especially if car has always or for a long time been only washed with a garden hose.
Jet wash pressure will always get under the handle where a sponge or mitt won't, so they just may be filthy, but if you can't see a light under any of them then it's a 50/50 - either they all have a thick layer of dirt over them or just has not been spec'd at the factory

aTOMic 24th November 2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcs (Post 119922)
It depends on spec in your country.

Here, they were part of the "Exterior Light Package" which was door handle lights and led puddle lamps under the mirrors.

Lots of D3 cars missed out though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-A8 (Post 119924)
It was an option.
Sometimes, they are working and are not painted over...

Crap! No puddle lights under mirrors I'm quite sure... under the doors, yes; but I thought our cars had everything! And I meant all our cars. I'm going out to look now. Do they activate when unlock is pressed on the fob, no doubt? Or does the moon need to be in the tropic of Cancer and the car/fob angle be in excess of 20 degrees?

Worse yet, to add this would probably be several hundred man-hours and as many £!

(Kevin Kline/Otto in "A Fish Called Wanda": Otto: Oh, you English are *so* superior, aren't you? Well, would you like to know what you'd be without us, the good ol' U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest ****ing province in the Russian Empire, that's what! So don't call me stupid, lady. Just thank me.

Wendy: Well, *thank* you for popping in and protecting us.

Otto: If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking *German!* Singing "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles..."

MattyV8 19th September 2018 08:44 PM

Thought I'd add onto this instead of starting a new post.

I noticed an led under the handle when it got darker - one on the drivers door and one on the passenger rear.

All the other leds look to have been painted over - why would this be? I don't even know how you'd scrape the paint off without pushing it into the handle.

Would be a nice little feature to have that would compliment the leds under the wing mirrors.

Is it really that difficult to replace the light bar?

Thanks for any help!

H-M3 19th September 2018 11:35 PM

Door card off unfortunately:(. Two of mine are blown too. When I have the guts to take the door card off might sort it.:D

MattyV8 20th September 2018 09:13 AM

Ah right, so that would mean 4 doorcards off then!

Can't imagine how hard that would be but I do need to replace a bose speaker in 2 doors so might tackle it then.

Cheers for the response :cool: