A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Oil level warning (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13327)

Simon Wallwork 20th August 2017 12:45 AM

Oil level warning

Hi Folks.
I've had this one for real before, but this time it's not right.

The 'oil level' master caution comes on, on the DIS and it wont go off.

I added oil, then added more and the car then smoked for a while....not good.

The oil level's correct now, according to the dipstick, but how do I stop the 'oli level' caution?

It's on the whole time, not intermittent.

David's8 20th August 2017 06:00 PM

A few questions:
1. What oil are you using?
2. Has the system been flushed through at any point to clear "unwanted deposits"?
3. Have you got VCDS? if yes, what does a scan say?
4. You can probably see my house in Helensburgh from Langbank so if you need a scan just pm me. +++

Simon Wallwork 24th August 2017 10:28 PM

Hi David
Thanks for the offer. I often visit my sis in Cardross so I might be able to take you up on that.

To answer
1. It's some semi synthetic I think
2. No
3. I don't know what VCDS is, so no sadly.
4. :-)

Cheers
Simon

ps- I tried adding oil but that didn't do it. The car burned the excess off which wasn't ideal either

David's8 25th August 2017 06:44 PM

The oil should be fully synthetic 5W-30 meeting VAG spec 502/505 or 507 for longlife. But it is probably not going to make much difference to oil level warnings if you have the wrong viscosity oil. That sounds like a different issue. A scan may well be useful so just pm me if you want to do this.+++

Simon Wallwork 25th August 2017 07:48 PM

Thanks David. I might get over next week.

But I've not really looked at it yet, because I've no idea how this system works or where the connections, transducers et, are located.

Does anyone know how the oil level system actually works??

I have no clue myself.:Confused:

MikkiJayne 25th August 2017 09:37 PM

The sensor is in the sump. It measures oil level, condition, and temperature. There's a single connection to it on the left of the sump. It may simply have failed - thats not unheard of.

David's8 26th August 2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 131816)
The sensor is in the sump. It measures oil level, condition, and temperature. There's a single connection to it on the left of the sump. It may simply have failed - thats not unheard of.

Simon is going to drop by Monday if possible and so I'll put it on the ramps, do a physical check and if that doesnt reveal the answer, use VCDS to try and get to the bottom of it.
I was looking at the service manual and was wondering how the sensor worked. It looks like a small transducer on top of the plastic sump plug so does it measure depth using ultrasound? How does it check condition?

MikkiJayne 26th August 2017 08:50 PM

If I remember correctly, its optical and measures the opacity of the oil. This is the sensor:

https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/465355_x800.jpg

There's a small open port at the top and bottom of the probe for the oil to get in, and a bunch of electronics in there. It has a single data line to the cluster to which it communicates the various parameters so there's some sort of processor in there too.

David's8 26th August 2017 09:09 PM

Interesting.+++ The tip looks (to me) like some sort of transducer face for measuring the "depth" of oil above it - But I might be wrong :)

If it is measuring the opacity of the oil how come it service intervals are set by time expired or mileage as opposed to saying that your oil is manky and needs changing?

David's8 28th August 2017 08:37 PM

Today's scan shows:
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent

so it seems like the sensor is toast. didnt have the time to take the belly plate off for a look at the offending article but my guess is that it isnt the external wiring.

Anyone know why the code 00562 doesnt appear on Rosstech wiki?