A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Indicator dies not reset after turning. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17026)

RICKY D 19th May 2023 09:09 PM

Indicator does not reset after turning

After I make a left turn the indicator stalk does not return to its off position and the indicator remains on.

I’ve been told the stalk is faulty and I’m trying to locate a second hand one on eBay. Do I need the whole assembly like in the link below?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255290049...Bk9SR_rR_d2GYg

I couldn’t see any listings from prestige but I will drop them a message once I know what I need.

MikkiJayne 19th May 2023 09:22 PM

I have found that the indicator stalk and clockspring wear in together over time. The result of this is that if you change one of the two, you get this problem where the indicator fails to cancel in one or both directions, but when you take it apart the mechanism appears perfectly functional.

A matched pair like that listing is ideal as they tend to continue to work together. Whenever I take them off a car I will keep the stalks and clock spring together so they can be transplanted as a unit. You do need to recode the steering angle sensor in VCDS though if you swap the clock spring, which can be a bit tricky.

RICKY D 19th May 2023 09:29 PM

Thank you MJ. Although I’m not familiar with the working of these, I can certainly follow your logic.

I will have a chat with David as DS Autowerkz and see if that’s a job he can do before purchasing. +++

MikkiJayne 20th May 2023 07:06 AM

Sorry, should have explained. The indicator cancelling lever is triggered by the clockspring, not the steering wheel, hence why they appear to be able to 'wear in'. The clockspring is indexed to the steering wheel with two pins.

David should certainly be able to swap the parts and recode the ESP. The process is a little fiddly but well documented.

sarg 20th May 2023 10:54 AM

Don't use the indicators, problem solved :ROFL:

monkeyboyuk 20th May 2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 173017)

Thought that was only available option for bmw drivers? Oh wait I just remembered your new daily……

RICKY D 20th May 2023 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 173017)

Last time I looked I had an Audi badge on the car and not a BMW one :ROFL:

RICKY D 13th July 2023 03:10 PM

I had a good condition used unit fitted by a garage and the indicators are working as they should now…..but, as with anything D2 related, for every one step forward you end up taking 2 steps back :rolleyes:

1. The unit I found doesn’t have cruise control (my mistake) but I wasn’t too fussed about that because the D2 cruise control is awful.

2. The cowling has captive nuts which the plastic around it has disintegrated and it no longer sits properly and makes the most irritating noise everytime you turn.

Slowly losing patience with this car. I may well just park it up and leave it in the garage until I have motivation again in 2030 :)

Conan_the_Librarian 13th July 2023 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 173623)

Slowly losing patience with this car. I may well just park it up and leave it in the garage until I have motivation again in 2030 :)

Give it me? Throw off the things that depress you!

RICKY D 13th July 2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 173625)
Give it me? Throw off the things that depress you!

Mike, the way I’m feeling at the moment you may well get a call mate :ROFL:

The amount of money I’ve thrown at it the last year would make me feel sick if it did go. I need some time to consider before I do something I may regret in the future.