A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - Generic car items (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Free to collect: Dell XP laptop previously used for VAG-COM (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13723)

HPsauce 8th January 2018 10:16 AM

Free to collect: Dell XP laptop previously used for VAG-COM

Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop. In use until quite recently to run VAG-COM and VCDS. Could include a generic OBD cable if wanted allowing you to load and run the "free" version of VCDS-Lite.

Fully working on a valid licensed copy of Windows XP Professional and with original installation CD's.

Fast 2.8GHz Pentium 4 processor, 40GB hard disk, 2GB ram, DVD-R/CD-RW drive, latest A08 BIOS version.
TP-link internal wireless-n (up to 300mbps) wifi adapter. Good battery, relatively new, lasts up to 45 minutes.
Up to date (as far as XP can be) with Service Pack 3 and all subsequent fixes. Avast Free antivirus protection.

Would also suit someone who needs to run old software that works on XP but not later versions of Windows, with the added bonus of being useable away from a mains connection for at least a few minutes at a time. Certainly long enough to do a VCDS scan.

David's8 8th January 2018 10:36 AM

Interested and although a long way north am coming south this week and back up Sunday-ish. Wherebouts are you exactly, Andrew?
2 other questions:
1. How long does the battery actually last? (I see a new battery is around £30).
2. What's the screen size?

HPsauce 8th January 2018 11:22 AM

Hi David, it's 1024*768 resolution and 15" diagonal. Perfectly useable.

The battery I bought myself not that long ago but life depends what you're doing. It can say 2 hours initially but drops quickly to about 50 minutes.

As I've only ever used it to scan my S8, fully charged beforehand, I really don't know how long it would last.

I'm near Amersham so not far from M1, M25 and M40, depending where you are heading.

PM me if seriously interested, it is on offer elsewhere.

David's8 8th January 2018 11:25 AM

Thanks Andrew. +++ will PM if/when my journey schedule becomes clear.

HPsauce 8th January 2018 11:40 AM

Just to add that, for an appropriate number of beer tokens I can load my LICENSED copy of VCDS-Lite onto it assuming I can find a way to transfer the registration. I now have a genuine Ross-Tech lead so no longer need this software.

Note this is NOT the free version, it has more capabilities as it was originally purchased as VAGCOM then traded/upgraded to VCDS. But it won't really do anything useful past a D2. (I may still have the old VAGCOM as well which will still work!)

However as it's registered it also has significant value for trade-in at Ross-Tech to the newest versions of their hardware, so I may just sell it separately. Or buy an upgrade and sell that. ;)

Paulg390 10th January 2018 10:54 PM

Hi, if not already taken could I have dibs on this as I have a D2 S8 and so would be perfect for running diagnostics on it. Feel free to PM me.