A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other marques (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Vauxhall Senator (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13297)

47p2 7th August 2017 07:49 AM

Vauxhall Senator

27 years since I bought my Senator and it cost around this price back then. The only car I wish I had never sold...

Click

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HuwAAO...sV/s-l1600.jpg

Audidothat 7th August 2017 08:01 AM

Senator - Will forever remind me of getting stopped for speeding on the M4!
Did you get the full 7k? That is a strong price, well done!!

47p2 7th August 2017 08:39 AM

This isn't my car, I owned mine back in 1980 and wish i had kept it.

1781cc 7th August 2017 08:44 AM

Room for another? I wish I hadn't rolled my MK1 Astra SRI, loved that car.

Funny how some stick in your mind, you have a chance to buy another, I wont get a chance to find a MK1 ever again

Johnmed 7th August 2017 12:35 PM

That does look nice, but at £7k, I'm not so sure.

tintin 7th August 2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnmed (Post 131279)
That does look nice, but at £7k, I'm not so sure.

Agreed - almost 10 years older than a FE D2 S8, and asking for a premium over one of those. I don't think so.

Dezzy 7th August 2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1781cc (Post 131275)
Room for another? I wish I hadn't rolled my MK1 Astra SRI, loved that car.

Funny how some stick in your mind, you have a chance to buy another, I wont get a chance to find a MK1 ever again

Were the Mk1's not SR's as they were on carb's? had a twin choke Webber on mine. GTE's were injected 1800 units. Great fun cars. Only recently got shot of a piar of front recaro's front one.

1781cc 7th August 2017 05:12 PM

Yup, you are right, it was a carb car, don't know why I put the i

It's was a great in all but engine, all black, loved it

Dezzy 7th August 2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1781cc (Post 131288)
Yup, you are right, it was a carb car, don't know why I put the i

It's was a great in all but engine, all black, loved it

The MK2 was an SRI and the Cavilier. MK1 Astra should go to the cool wall +++

tonupkid 7th August 2017 07:15 PM

That Senator, same colour as the one I had (1988). I agree, one of the best car's I've had. It's worth repeating how similar they are to the D3's. Just look at it against your signature picture :love:
I bought a Mk 1 Astra GTE for one of our salesmen (don't ask). Strewth it flew, but you had to keep it screaming. Massive fun for sprinting about but I think not the best for distances.
Both the Senator and GTE had digital dash boards which were panned in every review I saw. I liked them, they were clear and delivered what you needed to know. You could switch between MPH & KPH by holding down, I think it was, the trip reset button. Discreetly putting it into KPH was a great way of winding up unsuspecting passengers.
SWMBO had a Cavalier 2.0i CD 1990. Another good car. Very comfy, cruised effortlessly @ 90 all day. And, despite what all the reviews said, It could take being chucked round the corners. A bit of a Jekyll & Hyde :D

The_Laird 7th August 2017 09:25 PM

Sometimes I wonder if it's my medication, but this is just fugly IMHO, inside and out!

tonupkid 7th August 2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 131298)
Sometimes I wonder if it's my medication, but this is just fugly IMHO, inside and out!

Not your medication, it's the lack of a D3 in your life. Your aesthetics are still undeveloped. There's hope, but I'm not holding my breath:)

tintin 7th August 2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 131299)
Your aesthetics are still undeveloped.

Very harsh Nick - you could just have said underdeveloped...

tintin 7th August 2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 131298)

The meds may be playing a part Jim, but any '90s electronic dash is bound to look naff, and the styling's not too hot either. Having said that, it's probably better quality than anything Vauxhall have produced since :(

47p2 8th August 2017 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 131291)
That Senator, same colour as the one I had (1988). I agree, one of the best car's I've had. It's worth repeating how similar they are to the D3's. Just look at it against your signature picture :love:

I went to Northern Ireland with my mate a couple or three years ago to look at buying a 'mint' manual Senator after exchanging 20+ emails with the vendor, a very rare beast in manual as I had never seen one before but was assured it was 100% genuine. On arriving I met another mate at Larne and walked over to the Asda car park where the car was waiting for my arrival. It looked low...very low, a quick shuffty underneath revealed a set of lowered springs:):Confused: Then under the bonnet revealed the remainder of the automatic gear selector cables. That was enough for us, we were out. Only problem was the guy had driven 60 miles to get to the ferry and wasn't happy and wanted compensation. My mate's 6'3" and built like the proverbial brick s**thouse so he decided enough was enough and told the guy to get on his bike. That's when the s**t hit the fan and a Transit van with 3 bears arrived like a scene out of the Sweeney. They jumped out the van and they took a look at the size of my mate and decided to jump back in the van and leg it before WW3 started...:ROFL

What I couldn't believe was just how small it was compared to the A8.

Dezzy 8th August 2017 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 131291)
Both the Senator and GTE had digital dash boards which were panned in every review

:tuttut: MK2 had the digi dash Mk1's were (Astra's that is, never been in a Senator)
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1502183378