A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   IT, AV and other Tech (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Oh bugger it! Some git has managed to knacker my desktop pc :( (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6273)

Adrian E 9th April 2013 10:08 PM

Oh bugger it! Some git has managed to knacker my desktop pc :(

Looks like my desktop pc has been successfully attacked by some malware called AVAsoft Professional Antivirus, which is effectively just an exploit of a vulnerability in internet explorer which allows a click on a web page to install software with no further interaction and locks you out of trying to shut down the programme or repair it. I believe possibly fixed by microsoft updates released this afternoon.

Typing this on my laptop while I try and decide whether to attempt to repair, knowing the software has potentially installed one or more back doors

I thought I'd got away with it after a safe mode clean up with Malwarebytes but it's refusng to run microsoft updates as one of the services required has been deleted, not just switched off! I'd already run the MS system file scanner as it'd replaced a system32 executable file....

Getting some help off an IT forum but they're basically suggesting I should seriously consider a complete rebuild of the pc, which I could do without :(

Got quite enough going on at the moment without this, but at least the laptop appears OK and the PC is running so I can pull stuff off it if I need to.

Grrrrrr

Adrian

RanjS8 10th April 2013 12:04 AM

Anti virus software

I have never really liked anti-virus software as it just seems to slow the computer down.....instead I have just resigned myself to accept every 18 months or so I completely format the hard drive n do a fresh re-install. In the meantime.....I just make sure I keep a back up of important stuff.

I would just back up important information and do a fresh new install.

Adrian E 10th April 2013 07:00 AM

Apart from refusing to run updates it seems to be running ok - it's just avoiding backing up any files that might turn out to be related to the Trojan that's been on there...

The_Laird 10th April 2013 07:11 AM

System restore to a week ago?

IT 10th April 2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 55879)
Apart from refusing to run updates it seems to be running ok - it's just avoiding backing up any files that might turn out to be related to the Trojan that's been on there...

Its not whether its appearing to run ok right now, its whats running in the background ready to snoop your usernames/password/bank details or participate in online DOS or other attacks.

Honestly, if you think its been compromised. Flatten it and start again....

Adrian E 10th April 2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 55880)
System restore to a week ago?

Would've been possible if the last 5 restore points are all after the point I think it got infected :(

PsYcHe 10th April 2013 08:06 AM

I'd go for the rebuild.. It's a pain in the arse, but that's life.

Possibly suggest something like CrashPlan for future recoveries..

Adrian E 10th April 2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 55881)
Its not whether its appearing to run ok right now, its whats running in the background ready to snoop your usernames/password/bank details or participate in online DOS or other attacks.

Honestly, if you think its been compromised. Flatten it and start again....

Any good sites with advice on rebuilding a win 7 64 bit machine and making sure you don't miss any files or keep the virus? Can the windows file transfer software manage it or is that too risky? I don't mind doing it although finding all the software again will be a total ball ache :/ I could backup to my laptop as the hdd is almost as big, but if I do that over a network is it likely I'll infect the laptop too or is that unlikely?

Will have to rebuild my vm with Etka too :(

David's8 10th April 2013 08:14 AM

I presume that you have looked for solutions online:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-...ssional-virus/

though I note that it says use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software which you say you have already tried.

Adrian E 10th April 2013 09:37 AM

Its been cleaned of the infection but the problem with Trojan viruses is that you're never entirely sure there isn't a hidden back door left behind for someone to exploit later without your knowledge. Or they can leave a key logger behind to steal passwords and card numbers