A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   ASR Switch Type (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16171)

Snaggle57 6th March 2021 08:13 PM

ASR Switch Type

Hi does anyone know what type of switch the ASR switch is on a PF car? By that I mean is it on/off like fog light switches or is it timed/push once like the heated screen/ headrest retract ones?
Sorry I don’t know the technical terms.

My a4 has the same type of switches and I need re-wire the clocks to a switch as they’re faulty and stay on when the ignition is off and kill the battery, i would like to use something other than a fog light switch if possible if anyone can help??

HPsauce 6th March 2021 08:28 PM

Assume you're talking about the "big boy" vertical rectangle switches?
I wanted to install a "latching" (push-on push-off) switch in my S8 in the redundant (in FL) switch hole above the drivers right knee (to toggle TV-in-motion).
In the end I bought 2 switches from our sponsors and swapped the caps so that I could get the right "look".

IIRC there was literally only one type of switch that did the job, and for the life of me I can't recall what it was, but our sponsors would definitely know. I might be able to dig through my records, or even posts here, to find out.
I also think that it had an LED in it that I either removed or maybe didn't wire in?

BUT I think it's a fair bet that the ASR switch is, like most, just an instantaneous contact while being pressed.

Edit: Found the answer here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=motion
The only switch I found that "latched" was the "flasher" switch.
You'll need to put a multimeter on it to work out which terminals to use for your job.

Snaggle57 6th March 2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 163762)
Assume you're talking about the "big boy" vertical rectangle switches?
I wanted to install a "latching" (push-on push-off) switch in my S8 in the redundant (in FL) switch hole above the drivers right knee (to toggle TV-in-motion).
In the end I bought 2 switches from our sponsors and swapped the caps so that I could get the right "look".

IIRC there was literally only one type of switch that did the job, and for the life of me I can't recall what it was, but our sponsors would definitely know. I might be able to dig through my records, or even posts here, to find out.
I also think that it had an LED in it that I either removed or maybe didn't wire in?

BUT I think it's a fair bet that the ASR switch is, like most, just an instantaneous contact while being pressed.

Edit: Found the answer here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=motion
The only switch I found that "latched" was the "flasher" switch.
You'll need to put a multimeter on it to work out which terminals to use for your job.

Brilliant. Exactly what I needed Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can manage the testing I’ll get a hazard switch ordered and swap the cover for a spare headrest one I have so I dont get confused. +++ +++

IT 7th March 2021 09:46 AM

This is from the bottom of my brain, so bear with me.

I seem to think the fog light switches on the PF are latching also.

I say this, as when I converted a PF car to FL dashboard (back in the days when I had spare time obviously) I recall the fog lights being a right pita as the FL ones definitely didn't latch, and so it wasn't a nice easy job of connecting up the wires - I had to build in latching module from a FL car to handle it.

Easy enough to test. Ignition on, lights on, fog lights on. Ignition off, and back on.

If the fog lights stay on, you have latching switches there...

I don't doubt the hazard is also a latching relay, but it maybe expands your options +++

HPsauce 7th March 2021 10:41 AM

The PF hazard switch itself is purely mechanical (plus the LED) - the relay is elsewhere, presumably in the "footwell collection".

I'm not sure about the fog lights though, there's an interaction between the front and rear ones that I don't think can be achieved easily by purely mechanical means.

Snaggle57 8th March 2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 163766)
This is from the bottom of my brain, so bear with me.

I seem to think the fog light switches on the PF are latching also.

I say this, as when I converted a PF car to FL dashboard (back in the days when I had spare time obviously) I recall the fog lights being a right pita as the FL ones definitely didn't latch, and so it wasn't a nice easy job of connecting up the wires - I had to build in latching module from a FL car to handle it.

Easy enough to test. Ignition on, lights on, fog lights on. Ignition off, and back on.

If the fog lights stay on, you have latching switches there...

I don't doubt the hazard is also a latching relay, but it maybe expands your options +++

Thanks for that, just incase anyone else would like to know in the future I’ve checked tonight and they do indeed stay on when the ignition off & on again. Front and rear fogs, but this is my b5 a4 I tested on (same switches as my PF S8)