A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Everything Else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Preface lift V Facelift (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12945)

A8 Ian 26th April 2017 08:22 PM

Preface lift V Facelift

What is the actual difference in build to a Facelift and pre Facelift 4.2 tdi

I know the engine has a higher factory HP and 50nm more torque but ... why is the engine much more quiet than PF ? I drove one the other day and it's either a better insulated cabin or the engine build and design is actually different in some way.

Other differences I'd be interested in is sound system... my friend has a 2016 S8 and mine is 2012 .. his bose sounds like a different system to mine, using the same SD card track as a reference it's almost hard to belive they are even the same system at all ... ??

paulrstaylor 26th April 2017 08:27 PM

Interesting, engine wise I have driven both extensively now and haven't noticed any real difference in engine noise, or in real world "power" with the 4.2 TDIs (the 3l FL made a big difference, suspect some of that maybe gearing?). Maybe worth trying a different pre-facelift for comparison?

On the bose question, would be interesting to compare software versions on the amp?

A8 Ian 26th April 2017 08:37 PM

That can be arranged I have VCDS I can check the software version. Power wise I have no reference given I'm on 446bhp with 1050nm and the standard face-lift is around 385 with 850nm

I have to say every time I use the power and torque I smile ... I left a soul destroying look on a jaguar XF owners face today... launch control with that torque and a sports diff is so satisfying and a true Wolf in sheep's clothing

tonupkid 26th April 2017 08:39 PM

Stupid question possibly, but same track on the same sd card?

A8 Ian 26th April 2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 127210)
Stupid question possibly, but same track on the same sd card?

Yes, same track both cars, same format and bit rate etc straight from one car to the other, with the 2016 S8 sounding far better...

Now part of me wandered, is this to do with the active noise cancellation. .. and is that system in some way different ... I can see the microphones in the headlining on his. Where I do not have this ...

paulrstaylor 26th April 2017 08:51 PM

I'm interested in how you get that power, mine is standard, I was maybe a little disappointed when I planted the facelift and it felt just the same to my butt-dyno :ROFL:

paulrstaylor 26th April 2017 08:52 PM

Was the facelift an S8, active noise cancellation will explain the difference in cabin noise if so +++

tonupkid 26th April 2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8 Ian (Post 127211)
Yes, same track both cars, same format and bit rate etc straight from one car to the other, with the 2016 S8 sounding far better...

Now part of me wandered, is this to do with the active noise cancellation. .. and is that system in some way different ... I can see the microphones in the headlining on his. Where I do not have this ...

If one has noise cancelling and the other does not, that sounds like a solid difference (no pun intended). It will at the very least reduce your perception of extraneous noise, which may enhance perceived clarity of the music.
It would be interesting to compare with B&O as well.

A8 Ian 26th April 2017 09:05 PM

Next upgrade: fit active noise canceling :)

A8 Ian 26th April 2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 127212)
I'm interested in how you get that power, mine is standard, I was maybe a little disappointed when I planted the facelift and it felt just the same to my butt-dyno :ROFL:

With some ahem "Street legal and emissions compliant upgrades officer" and a remap of course :D