A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Single to double glazing (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14961)

hunker7 13th May 2019 05:03 PM

Single to double glazing

One of my window mechanisms is making weird noise. Because I only have 2.8 FWD could I upgrade to double glazing and would it need only the glass or the whole frame? :Confused:

MikkiJayne 13th May 2019 06:17 PM

I'm planning on doing that to one of mine shortly. According to what I can find in Etka, the frame is the same, but the channel and the inner seal are different so you'd need a donor car to get everything. Prestige Motor Services took an A8 4.2 to bits recently so they may still have what you need.

IT 13th May 2019 06:23 PM

We've done it in the past, but just swapped out the whole upper frames.

If you can get the guides separate, remove yours, and refit them perfectly, then you could do just the guides etc I guess but run the risk of it not quite going back nicely ?

hunker7 13th May 2019 06:36 PM

Really don't want to be messing about, probably will be sourcing whole frame. Any idea on what it could cost me? :tuttut:

The_Laird 13th May 2019 08:17 PM

I had it done years ago on my first A8; also a 2.8. A8 Parts did it for me, so give them a call

hunker7 14th May 2019 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 150419)
I had it done years ago on my first A8; also a 2.8. A8 Parts did it for me, so give them a call

Was there noticable difference? :rolleyes:

The_Laird 14th May 2019 08:07 AM

Yes, because by mistake, they’d been so focussed on atching the glass colour, that 2 of the windows were still single glazed!. So you could here little or no wind and road noise through 2 windows and a noticable difference from the other two. They were brilliant about sorting that out thoughh, coming uo to Glasgow to collect my car and returning it a day or two later.

hunker7 14th May 2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 150427)
Yes, because by mistake, they’d been so focussed on atching the glass colour, that 2 of the windows were still single glazed!. So you could here little or no wind and road noise through 2 windows and a noticable difference from the other two. They were brilliant about sorting that out thoughh, coming uo to Glasgow to collect my car and returning it a day or two later.

Wind noise is pretty bad compared to other cars I've driven, and can't see anything that could be causing it. Might just need put this on the list. +++

MikkiJayne 14th May 2019 09:47 AM

Its quite common for the upper door seals to shrink slightly leaving a gap at the top corner of the door, right by your ear. I adjusted mine when I had the doors in bits and it helped quite a lot. Possibly something to look at +++

hunker7 19th May 2019 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 150430)
Its quite common for the upper door seals to shrink slightly leaving a gap at the top corner of the door, right by your ear. I adjusted mine when I had the doors in bits and it helped quite a lot. Possibly something to look at +++

This is how I've adjusted them to sit?