A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other marques (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Are Teslas any good? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10473)

tonupkid 18th January 2024 08:36 PM

Our (recently purchased) Mercedes EQC400 (BEV) has 'creep'. So manoeuvring is exactly the same as in an automatic ICE vehicle.

Interesting what you say, Andrew, about start-stop being problematical while manoeuvring. We had start-stop in the VW Touareg, and I have it in the Audi S8, and I have not noticed an issue. I'm guessing that VAG cars must have a way of identifying such situations and automatically disabling it.

ainarssems 18th January 2024 10:33 PM

On my Tesla I can choose 'Creep' or 'Hold' mode. Start/stop on Q7 you can control with brake pedal. If you press fairly hard and hold when stopping it will stop engine, if you release brake pedal a bit as you come to stop and keep it pressed down just a little bit, just enough to keep the car stationary, then it will not stop engine.

HPsauce 19th January 2024 08:23 AM

Sounds like the manufacturers are getting these driveability issues sorted.
Interestingly last night I was given a lift by a friend in his EV runabout, a Cupra Born.

He said his wife won't drive it unless she absolutely has to as she doesn't feel enough in control.
They're both used to reasonably fast cars, hers is currently a MANUAL Audi S3.

IT 19th January 2024 01:41 PM

Teslas are a bit different, and EV's in general, no gearbox, not automatic or manual. No revs. Not much noise.

Big screen in the tesla. Not many physical controls. Basic things like wipers, audio control, cruise, heating can be daunting when you first jump in.

It does take a little bit of getting used to, and probably doesn't lend itself to the short term rental car market where you just want to jump in and drive.

The throttle however, works just the same as any other car, its just way more torquey from the offset.

It concerns me if people find that uncontrollable, but if they're used a small fossil fuel engine and just stamping on the throttle everywhere they go then, yeah, its gonna cause issues.

It can simulate an Auto, but it feels very retro and pointless. The one pedal driving where you never need the brake is the way forward. Press down, you go, lift off a bit, it regen brakes, lift off completely and its going to bring you to a gentle halt.

Adrian E 19th January 2024 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 174548)
The one pedal driving where you never need the brake is the way forward. Press down, you go, lift off a bit, it regen brakes, lift off completely and its going to bring you to a gentle halt.

That's how the 2nd gen Leaf is setup isn't it?

I find stop-start to be fine on our Mk7 Golf, BUT stop-start combined with hill hold assist is a complete pain in the arse. There is virtually no point to HHA on an auto, aside from the fact that you can take your foot off the brake pedal and not blind those sitting behind you with the high level brake light.

In our Golf with both HHA and stop-start active needs you to really understand how the systems are working together to use them without jolting progress. If you stop with both active, you need to give the throttle a gentle tap before you set off, to wake the engine up, then a 2nd gentle tap to release the brakes. Then it's fine. Try to do both together and it'll lurch forward with a jolt. If you really want to mess with your brain having ACC working as well can make it fairly nasty to use, if you're not understanding the interactions between the systems.

The only time I use HHA is if I'm stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway/a major A road, so it's off more than it's on. If I'm setting off on a very steep slope I'll put the parking brake on and rely on auto-release.