A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Replacing rubber boot seal. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11940)

HPsauce 26th July 2016 05:50 PM

Replacing rubber boot seal.

Yes, I know technically it's not outside, but then it's not inside either....

My boot seal is badly damaged, from luggage being dragged in and out (not be me, it arrived like that). So I bought a spare from our sponsors when the new shop was offering a massive discount.
It's pretty obvious which bits of trim have to come off, only the big one along the sill (with the light in) looks vaguely non-trivial.

BUT, are there any other considerations, e.g. is it just a push-fit or is there adhesive to overcome, in which case would heat (hairdryer or similar) help with removal.
And are there any tricks to getting the replacement back on? It looks like the "join" is half-way down the left side in both old and new.

The "new" one does have some minor damage, but nothing comparable to the old one which is rather beyond redemption. And as a sometime cyclist used to "rubber repairs" :rolleyes: it's nothing I can't deal with.

Adrian E 26th July 2016 08:34 PM

It's just a push fit with clips, from memory. Push towards boot to release about 4 plastic push in clips (once you've removed the 2 black circular clips where the centres pull out and the outer bit kind of wiggles out!)

The side bits Velcro'd to sides of boot need to come off first

Not near car but don't remember it being awkward to get out :)

HPsauce 26th July 2016 09:20 PM

Adrian, I mean the tubular rubber seal that goes all the way round the boot opening, worried about glue or other hidden fixings.
The trim bits I'm OK with I think. Been in and around there a fair few times.

Adrian E 27th July 2016 01:43 PM

Ah sorry, read it that you weren't sure how that bit came out!

Doesn't the replacement part help with establishing fixing points, if any?

notorious 28th July 2016 08:39 AM

It is simple push fit. Make sure vulcanised seam is aligned with left side ball hinge that holds boot strut. Check position of the seam before removing the old seal.

HPsauce 28th July 2016 09:47 AM

Thanks, I had noticed that alignment and planned to copy it. Any logical reason you know of for that?

notorious 29th July 2016 08:31 AM

ELSA documents this

HPsauce 3rd October 2017 04:15 PM

All done. +++
First attempt went wrong and was a terrible fit as I effectively had the seal upside down - join was in the right place but top and bottom were swapped, so it was sort of "inside out" with all the bends going the wrong way!
The replacement seal (used, from our sponsors) had some inevitable minor damage along the bottom edge but I've repaired most of that with neoprene adhesive. I used something designed for wet suits called "Neoprene Queen". :rolleyes:

I'm thinking I should get some sort of protective flap, fixed to the rear of the boot floor/carpet, that can roll out over the seal and sill when loading/unloading potentially damaging items.
Does anyone have any particular recommendation?

HPsauce 4th October 2017 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 133223)
inevitable minor damage along the bottom edge but I've repaired most of that with neoprene adhesive.

This is about a third of the total dealt with. No "before" picture for comparison, but it's an awful lot better now than it was. +++

steamship 4th October 2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 133223)
I'm thinking I should get some sort of protective flap, fixed to the rear of the boot floor/carpet, that can roll out over the seal and sill when loading/unloading potentially damaging items.
Does anyone have any particular recommendation?

Haven't got one, but was thinking along the same lines, since I use the car for everything. :tuttut:

How about something like this on eBay?