A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other marques (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Are Jaguars any good? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15556)

tintin 2nd March 2020 04:27 PM

Are Jaguars any good?

Ok, it's just the iPace ;) - but I thought a few on here might find this review of the day-to-day experience of living with this particular EV of interest.

https://youtu.be/CEyfCcAbtKU

Spoiler alert!: he spends virtually none of this review talking about how it drives and handles, which is a bit of a pity, as it's quite good at those aspects. :rolleyes:

steamship 2nd March 2020 06:29 PM

I thought it was quite interesting. I like that he covered the actual cost of charging from home, in pounds, shillings and pence, as opposed to kWh, charging rates or some other magical figure, and his experience is similar to what both you and Ian have mentioned previously.

The one thing that I find frustrating (and I don't even have an EV), is the charger lottery that you have to go through. You arrive at a charging station to find that none of the chargers will work with your car, or worse, the one that does has a car plugged into it, and it's not like sitting in the queue at the petrol station waiting for the car in front to fill up.

The other big issue is the insistence that you have to have the relevant app installed on your phone in order to use the charger ("Sorry sir, we won't sell you any Shell petrol as you don't have our phone app installed"). What is wrong with just being able to use that little plastic card that you carry around in your wallet? He mentions about them offering discounted prices if on subscription, but subscription to me means something similar to a phone contract, where you pay £x per month. Why are they making it so difficult to use their services?

As demonstrated in the video, this is where Tesla winds hands down every time, because they had the foresight to consider the infrastructure. Out of curiosity, for those Tesla owners that have to pay to use their charging stations, how do you pay, by card or by app?

briang9 2nd March 2020 10:23 PM

Yes, the F Type V8 AWD is a very very good car, and I believe in SVR spec it's even better..you can keep your elecktrickery nonsense thanks :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWKqDcFTlNI

tintin 3rd March 2020 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 156115)
Out of curiosity, for those Tesla owners that have to pay to use their charging stations, how do you pay, by card or by app?

When you buy your Tesla, your account details are taken, and it's automatic from that point. Simples.

IT 3rd March 2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 156123)
When you buy your Tesla, your account details are taken, and it's automatic from that point. Simples.

^^

This. Its 100% seamless. Literally, just plug your car in. Everything else is automatic. Your car is identified by RFID on the charging point itself.

No card swipy, no confirmation, no go button.

It couldn't be easier.....

27litres 6th March 2020 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 156130)
Its 100% seamless. Literally, just plug your car in. Everything else is automatic. Your car is identified by RFID on the charging point itself.

No card swipy, no confirmation, no go button.

It couldn't be easier.....

RFID chip in the car... over the air updates... data downloads... privacy concerns anyone?

tintin 6th March 2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27litres (Post 156200)
RFID chip in the car... over the air updates... data downloads... privacy concerns anyone?

There will always be privacy concerns with this stuff. Personally, I feel better protected with a tech company who happen to make cars (Tesla) than a car company who knows less about IT (e.g. BMW/Audi/etc) - and on a day to day basis, Tesla's "pin to drive" functionality gives me enough reassurance :rolleyes:

IT 7th March 2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27litres (Post 156200)

No more than any other online service. Worst case they can track my location... not too fussed about that. I dont have a great deal of personal info within the Tesla network, so I rest easy.

I get more concerned over travel agencies / airlines that seem to need everything short of a DNA sample these days to get abroad... :p

steamship 7th March 2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 156209)
No more than any other online service. Worst case they can track my location

Totally agree. A lot of people panic at the thought of a company having some of your personal data, but it's estimated that there are about 3.5 billion smart phones in the world, and you (your phone) can be tracked (if you are that paranoid) even without a Sim card in it. So, if you're driving along in your Tesla, with your mobile phone in your pocket, what's the big deal?