A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   IT, AV and other Tech (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Merging two access points. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15591)

Conan_the_Librarian 22nd March 2020 07:32 PM

Merging two access points.

I currently get my internet from an EE 4g modem. Being rural, it's the only option to copper wire which Max's out at 6 Megs. The 4g hits 25 on a good day. It is however damned expensive if I exceed my allowance. Now I've signed up to Netflix that is happening occasionally.

Can I merge two USPS. One over my telephone line and one from my 4g modem based on bandwidth demand. Normally running on the ADSL supply but kicking in the 4g ISP when required?

TiA.
CtL

PsYcHe 23rd March 2020 06:28 AM

In theory, yes. In practice, it's a bit more complex. You'll need some kind of device to put 'in front' of both connections (like a raspberry Pi) and some software to control it. Very possible that someone has already done it.

Dezzy 23rd March 2020 07:14 AM

We've just gone to Airband 25 notes a month. But you might be too valleyised and tree bound to get it.

moltuae 23rd March 2020 07:38 AM

You can do fail-over DSL/LTE easily with the right router. I do this for some of my customers and for my own home/office connection. I use a DrayTek Vigor 2862 LTE at home, which has a built-in LTE modem and additionally supports ADSL/VDSL, fibre broadband (over Ethernet), etc. The router takes a SIM card, which provides a 4G LTE connection if my VDSL connection goes down. Or, I can immediately switch to LTE any time I like simply by disconnecting the VDSL connection.

However, switching from DSL to LTE based on bandwidth requirements is a lot more complicated, and really not something you'd want to do. Even if you could make it work reliably, it would provide a poor internet experience due to the frequently changing public IP address, which would result in streaming restarts and website log-outs.

Have you considered switching to Three instead? They offer unlimited 4G/5G packages.

MikkiJayne 23rd March 2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 156507)
We've just gone to Airband 25 notes a month.

I'm planning to switch to Airband in the next few months when my EE 4G contract comes to an end, as I'm having the same problem as Mike. I didn't have Airband coverage when I signed up with EE - they built a local repeater just 2 weeks later :rolleyes: I thought 100GB a month with EE would be plenty, but I can use at least double that with Netflix & Prime. I switch my TV over to use my phone as a router though, since that also has 100GB.

EE have recently introduced an unlimited data SIM though for £40 a month, so maybe just switch to that once the 100GB contract expires?

Davey Blueeyes 23rd March 2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 156511)
I'm planning to switch to Airband in the next few months when my EE 4G contract comes to an end, as I'm having the same problem as Mike. I didn't have Airband coverage when I signed up with EE - they built a local repeater just 2 weeks later :rolleyes: I thought 100GB a month with EE would be plenty, but I can use at least double that with Netflix & Prime. I switch my TV over to use my phone as a router though, since that also has 100GB.

EE have recently introduced an unlimited data SIM though for £40 a month, so maybe just switch to that once the 100GB contract expires?

Crikey!! 100GB sounds a lot!

We are quite lucky here, they tend to pilot stuff here on the island. We were one of the very first place to BT Infinity and it was mega cheap when they first offered it to islanders (presumably to test it?).

My cousin and his wife (in Devon) are always moaning about their lack of phone signal and internet. You'd really like to think they would have sorted this for everyone by now, it's 2020!

Conan_the_Librarian 23rd March 2020 05:13 PM

Thanks for the feed back and ideas. I see 3 have a good deal on unlimited 4g that is also 5g ready. I'll look into EEs new unlimited offer as well.
It strikes me I could run two networks at home. All my AV is hardwired so the 4g could supply that. WiFi could be supplied by a different router supplied by ADSL.
However if I can find someone with a 3 mobile to check if I can get a signal at the house I may go that way.

tc4332 23rd March 2020 09:22 PM

I feel for you all.

I'm on Virgin Cable. Supposed to be 300Mbps but usually 384Mbps.