A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Selector alley surround... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2781)

jayzee 25th March 2011 05:03 PM

Selector alley surround...

Whilst polishing some pitting and minor scratches, I managed to polish through the laquer in one spot!! :mad:

Anyone know how to remove the wood trim around the selector? It feels very tight, and knowing my luck, I'll break it.

Is this the correct route to removing the alley selector?

Plan is to rub it down and re-laquer.

IT 25th March 2011 05:18 PM

You need to remove the carpetted transmission tunnel covers from both sides and undo the (4mm i think) allen bolts on each side that hold the wood trim down over the selector.

Once these are free, it needs to push forwards towards the dash and up as it has a hook at the back so it cannot be lifted straight up....

Removing this will give you access to the chrome selected which is relitively simple to remove, but you'll need to take the gearknob off to do that.

From memory, to remove the gear knob, you pull out the button at the top that you normally push into change gear, and whilst holding that out, you pull down the conical piece of chrome trim that mates with the gear knob plastic/leather itself. Then it all sort of falls off, but controllably I hasten to add +++

jayzee 25th March 2011 08:58 PM

Thanks IT +++

Stromaluski 18th September 2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 19962)
You need to remove the carpetted transmission tunnel covers from both sides and undo the (4mm i think) allen bolts on each side that hold the wood trim down over the selector.

Once these are free, it needs to push forwards towards the dash and up as it has a hook at the back so it cannot be lifted straight up....

Removing this will give you access to the chrome selected which is relitively simple to remove, but you'll need to take the gearknob off to do that.

From memory, to remove the gear knob, you pull out the button at the top that you normally push into change gear, and whilst holding that out, you pull down the conical piece of chrome trim that mates with the gear knob plastic/leather itself. Then it all sort of falls off, but controllably I hasten to add +++

Old thread, but related question here. You mention that the trim has to be pushed toward the dash to remove it to prevent breaking clips that slip under the center console... but the trim is located by the shifter, which isn't mobile. Do I need to unbolt the shifter in order to slide the trim forward? Or does the center console need to be unbolted and slid rearward? :Confused:

MikkiJayne 18th September 2019 03:09 PM

The centre console has to move backward to get the trim out without breaking it.

Stromaluski 18th September 2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 152682)
The centre console has to move backward to get the trim out without breaking it.

Thanks! +++