A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Snag list (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12097)

Audidothat 4th September 2016 09:15 PM

Snag list

Today I decided to create a list of faults my car is currently carrying.

Most if not all are electrical and all are intermittent, no real pattern.

Adaptive headlight fault and bulb failure (NS)
Driver door handle LEDs
Auto boot just unlocks but not open, doesn't even whine/strain
DIS blank/black on start up for 2-3 mins
Rear windows sometimes will not fully close at one touch

Could a weak battery be the cause or is the A8 prone to elec gremlins?

An additional question. Should the boot and fuel buttons in the drivers door illuminate? Mine do not.

Other than that engine pulls like a train, gearbox is great and MOT due on Friday!

Many thanks.

1781cc 4th September 2016 09:21 PM

I would say probably yes, I get intermittent low battery charge warnings and the boot only opens automatically when the car is running or has been running for a while. Put it on a CTEK the other day, seemed to solve the issue, 3 days later, same problem, got the battery low charge warning again today. Charged her again and all is now well once more!

Good luck with the MOT

Pug 4th September 2016 10:02 PM

Does the button on the inside of the boot lid illuminate?

Architex_mA8tey 4th September 2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1781cc (Post 117082)
I would say probably yes, I get intermittent low battery charge warnings and the boot only opens automatically when the car is running or has been running for a while. Put it on a CTEK the other day, seemed to solve the issue, 3 days later, same problem, got the battery low charge warning again today. Charged her again and all is now well once more!

Good luck with the MOT

As an aside -assuming your battery is ok and holding a charge etc - try recoding the battery with vagcom like it is having a new one fitted, it may stop your battery management issues at least for several months. On some cars the battery management module creates issues that aren't there, and the only way to deal with it is to renew the battery management module or to recode the battery which is kinda like resetting the service light for the battery
Just go into the battery coding and change the end digit to +1 from where it is and you'll probably find all is well again for a long while +++

Turbo Tony 4th September 2016 11:50 PM

I bought a new bootlid motor not realising the reason my bootlid didn't rise electrically was because of a battery with little charge!

Ameiseuk 5th September 2016 05:52 AM

A new battery solved over 50% of the initial electrical gremlins after i bought mine

neeldub 6th September 2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pug (Post 117083)
Does the button on the inside of the boot lid illuminate?

Only happens when the battery is low on charge. Happens to me often..there is something draining the power somewhere but the Energy management system does a good job at keeping enough charge to start the engine.

Audidothat 7th September 2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neeldub (Post 117170)
Only happens when the battery is low on charge. Happens to me often..there is something draining the power somewhere but the Energy management system does a good job at keeping enough charge to start the engine.

Got the Weak Battery message today for the first time. I do not have the ability to code so looks like I'm heading to a main dealer. Thanks all for the input.

Turbo Tony 7th September 2016 06:51 PM

Aren't you pretty close to me? I'd be happy to code your new battery for you, if required. I just need my VCDS from my glovebox first.

Audidothat 7th September 2016 07:16 PM

Yep, thanks for the kind offer. I am in Putney weekdays, SW at the weekends. That would be great if you could, imagine it would save some £££.