A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Upgrading the D2 Audio (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14658)

Markiii 17th December 2018 07:14 PM

Upgrading the D2 Audio

Its been a long time since I've owned a saloon and even longer since I've owned something thats quiet enough to benefit from a decent hifi install, so i'm thinking of a decent audio build.

I've started by reading the entire D2 ICE forum, but most of the links with what I wanted to know in the stickies are dead.

So would appreciate comments on what speakers we get as standard.

Car is a non Bose and as best I can determine without dismantling anything speakers are

Front Tweeters - up to 1.5" (Powered from the HU)
Front Woofers - no idea on size? (Powered from the HU)
Rear doors 4" door mids (Powered from the HU)
Tweeters near the door handle but no idea what size? (Powered from the HU)
Rear deck 6.5" coaxial or sub? (Powered by attached amps)

I know the front woofers sit in a bass wave enclosure, do the rear doors have similar or are they simply sitting in holes in the door?

thoughts appreciated

hunker7 19th December 2018 06:43 PM

I'd like to know too. Have standard setup non-Bose and it's pretty bad. Been thinking of one of them under-seat subs but don't know how to connect one to standard Concert 1.

Another issue I'm experiencing is rear deck "subs" gotto be plugged in for rear speakers to work :(

Ameiseuk 19th December 2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunker7 (Post 146974)
I'd like to know too. Have standard setup non-Bose and it's pretty bad. Been thinking of one of them under-seat subs but don't know how to connect one to standard Concert 1.

Another issue I'm experiencing is rear deck "subs" gotto be plugged in for rear speakers to work :(

Under seat active sub will take a line input from a speaker - just tap in to rear door speaker wires in the 'B' pillar and configure to accept line input.

Markiii 20th December 2018 04:01 PM

oh we can do better than an underseat sub

Markiii 20th December 2018 04:02 PM

on a related note anyone have a link to removing the door panels?

steamship 20th December 2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markiii (Post 146991)
on a related note anyone have a link to removing the door panels?

Check out the 'Retrofitted Rear Blinds' in my signature below.

HPsauce 20th December 2018 05:54 PM

This is an interesting debate, but my thoughts (having taken the door apart for other reasons using Sean's guide) is where do you put anything?

It's all pretty tightly packed inside a D2, and the only "decent" sub I've seen described is MJ's which IIRC is in the boot and uses the ski hatch to emit sound into the cabin.

Plus if you take a door apart you WILL need at least some of the door card clips (they break) and I thought I read somewhere that they're NLA.

I've taken an "executive decision" having "upgraded" from a PF S8 with Bose to a non-Bose FL S8 to stick with OEM and enjoy the engine......

steamship 20th December 2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 146994)
Plus if you take a door apart you WILL need at least some of the door card clips (they break) and I thought I read somewhere that they're NLA.

The door clips are still readily available. Part number is 4D0867299D. Around 60p each from Audi, but can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

Markiii 20th December 2018 10:32 PM

Answering my own question about door panel removal

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl.../doortrim.html

Markiii 22nd December 2018 10:13 PM

was anyone able to confirm the speaker sizes?

I was going to pull the door panels and take a look but MiL is not well so last minute diversion to Ireland for Xmas has left me unable to do anything hands on.

research will have to suffice until the new year