A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A8 musings..... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12162)

IT 26th September 2016 12:45 PM

A8 musings.....

So 6 months has passed, and it really is time to let the D4 move on, but its always grated on me that for a car that was better than a D3 in every possible way simple didn't get me excited until probably the last fortnight.

To put this in perspective, in the last 6 months I've done 2000 miles in the A8, and 6000 miles in the TT. The low spec, smallest engine, 2 wheel drive noisy soft top variant that on paper is the one not to have, and yet I've driven it daily. Commuted hundreds of miles and raved about how its so good I'd love the RS version. And I still do.

All whilst the D4 sat on the drive, with its radar cruise, massage seats and sumptuous trimmings did nothing but grow slightly older.

This wasn't a conscious decision. Both cars were taxed, insured, road legal and good to go, but I kept picking up the keys for the TT. Every time.

Its not like you can even pick them apart on running costs. They both nail mid 30's on the motorway, it'd be tough to suggest one is more frugal than the other. If I absolutely had to pick, then the D4 uses slightly less fuel. And the D4 is more comfortable, more prestigious and virtually effortless to drive. I even look infinitely more hetrosexual stepping out of the D4, and its believable I work in IT for a living.

So why didn't I drive the D4 then ?

I couldn't work it out. I Even drove my D2 a few times this summer and I Feel something in that that the D3 often lacked, and the D4 is lacking completely.

'Urgency'

With hindsight, this answer is so bloody obvious than i'm kicking myself hard for missing it, and it goes a lot like this:

In 1994 Audi created the A8, and in their wisdom at the time, us lucky UK folks only got the petrol versions. This meant, that everytime you press the throttle, the car actually moves forward immediately, and if you're lucky enough to have 8 cylinders it will do this rather quite quickly.

In 2002 along came the D3, and fortunately although a diesel model was around, many sensible folk continued to burn the faithful T-rex juice so that getting out of a busy junction was a throttle press, and not a 2 hour planning exercise.

But by the D3 facelift, we're seeing a lot more brontosaurus fuelled cars out there, and they're happy plodding up and down the motorway but when you actually, really want to do something quickly. It just can't.

But this is ok, because we all remember the D3 petrol variants and we know its a fundamentally good car, but will some laggy engines.

So here is 2010. The D4 arrives with a choice of petrol of diesel. Everyone buys diesel. There is a 4.2 FSi but no one buys it. There is a 4.0Tfsi and the S8, both of which rely again on Turbos to really deliver the kick. Start/stop is here and everything has been downtuned to be eco.

If you want a D4 with non-turbo torque off the line, then its going to have to be one of the handful of W12's that are kicking around, and even then only in long wheel base.

And this people, is the crux of my conclusion. For a car to feel sporty, it just simply has to have some go from a standstill. Turbo lag cannot be excused simply because it does twice the MPG.

I am now more interested than ever to try out the new SQ7 with its electric turbo charger on its diesel V8. I wonder if this is the answer to making a diesel feel sporty again ? If so, will we see it in the D5? I'd like to think so.

For me, I now love the D4. I've reset my expectations from a 'newer version of the classic sporty D2' to simply being the best motorway mile munchers I've ever been in, and it fits the bill perfectly.

So, if you want a simply excellent motorway cruiser, get a D4. You absolutely will not be disappointed. Its step up and then some from a D3, never mind the D2.

But, if you've been a D2 enthusiast, or looking for that launch of the line, and MPG isn't the most important factor then join the growing queue of folks looking out for tidy D3 S8's imo +++

Conquistador 26th September 2016 01:33 PM

I could feel this gradually crescendoing to the conclusion that a D3 S8 would fit the bill +++

pete-p 26th September 2016 01:39 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I had a D4 3.0TDI for a couple of months, it was a lovely car and, being new, felt much more luxurious compared to my D2. However there was no acceleration from standstill without really putting your foot to the floor, and then it still lagged. Reverse was even worse, it didn't want to move backwards unless you prodded the pedal with enough force.

Even my wife complained about the lack of progress the D4 made! :ROFL:

The stop/start made pulling out junctions a planned exercise, unless you had remembered to switch it off, which I often did in stop/start traffic.

Getting back in the D2 was such a good feeling, even if it's not quite a refined, maybe that's part of it...

tintin 26th September 2016 02:46 PM

Stuff gets more bloated over time - cars are no different. Which is why I'm sticking with my originals +++ (D2, Model S, Fiat Coupe, etc, etc....)

IT 26th September 2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 117871)
Stuff gets more bloated over time - cars are no different. Which is why I'm sticking with my originals +++ (D2, Model S, Fiat Coupe, etc, etc....)

Yes, I'm more interested than ever in getting my D2 back to fully working condition, but crumbs its a long way from it..... :-(

I'd happily drive it daily if it was sort though.... +++

richardracer 26th September 2016 03:38 PM

Nothing like a D3 S8....

Hi Ian,

I know what you mean after over 100,000 miles behind the wheel of the lovely V10 engined device. The urgency off the line and the thrill of real revs is still intoxicating. I am looking forward to stretching it's legs at ADI next month. My only reservation is the sheer physical size. We have elected to take our BMW 130i for the trip round Scotland's North Coast 500 because of the narrow/single track roads. Missed S8 on trip up to York!

Are you going back to a D3 S8 again?

Richardracer

PsYcHe 26th September 2016 04:07 PM

I know what you mean... My pf d3 wasn't as fun as the d2, but the 4.2tdi d3 was pretty decent.. Especially remapped :)

The a7 with the supercharged 3.0v6 is pretty nippy from a standing start :)

IT 26th September 2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardracer (Post 117873)

Are you going back to a D3 S8 again?

Richardracer

No, I doubt it. Mainly because good ones are so few and far between, virtually none existent. Plenty of cheap tatty ones around now, but the good ones are really holding their value, so the Yorkshire man in me will need to be finding a different sort of bargain sadly.....

But that's not a 'never'... ;)

IT 26th September 2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 117875)
I know what you mean... My pf d3 wasn't as fun as the d2, but the 4.2tdi d3 was pretty decent.. Especially remapped :)

The a7 with the supercharged 3.0v6 is pretty nippy from a standing start :)

The D3 4.2 Tdi was very prompt when remapped - but - it still had the initial lag.

Somehow, they've amplified the lag on the D4. It does have 800nm from the factory, so to be honest its probably a relativity thing. Its so bloody quick when its going, that you really notice when its not +++

That A7 is ripe for a remap to get it moving along just a little nicer still... :D

paulrstaylor 26th September 2016 05:30 PM

I think you need to invest on some lead for your right boot +++

Seriously I have a naturally aspirated V8 (granted it is only an S4) and a V8T diesel A8. The difference is the S4 feels and sounds fast, where as the A8 simply is faster without the "fuss" or maybe "fun".....

The current loan car is the latest version of the 4.2TDI, ~380bhp..... maybe because it is a loaner (and they are always faster right) but it seems to trouble the traction control easily on a 4wd car with huge tyres :ROFL:

Is your car on autotrader now?