A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Skoda Superb 280 - true D2 successor? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16618)

Goran 15th March 2022 02:12 PM

Skoda Superb 280 - true D2 successor?

Does anyone have a Skoda Superb 280?
It would be interesting to hear how it compares to a D2
I’m strongly considering one.
Looks very understated, nice and big, 4 wheel drive, reliable EA888 engine, but essentially a simple car not overbloated with stuff like post D2 8’ts.
Could this be the true D2 successor (in the VAG group)?

MikkiJayne 15th March 2022 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 169039)
reliable EA888 engine

I think that may be the first instance in recorded history of those two terms being used in connection with each other :ROFL:

Early versions of the Superb were based on the Passat. Have the later models grown a bit?

Goran 15th March 2022 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 169040)
I think that may be the first instance in recorded history of those two terms being used in connection with each other :ROFL:

Early versions of the Superb were based on the Passat. Have the later models grown a bit?

��
I thought Gen 3 was ok? I read the older ones gen 1, gen 2, have issues. I only did basic google research so could easily be wrong. If its not reliable I’ll re-consider.
I think the platform is still based on the Passat, which is considered more luxurious lol. I guess I’m way off base its not really in the same league as the A8.
I just like the relative simplicity of it, not too heavy, quick, and doesn’t stand out.

MikkiJayne 15th March 2022 03:07 PM

Gen3 might be ok, but even in the B8 they've been dire. Having seen them in bits, and seen some of the insane design decisions, I wouldn't touch one of any generation. Still, I don't trust anything made after 2005 so take that fwiw :D

Adrian E 15th March 2022 03:18 PM

Our Golf has the CHHA engine (PP spec EA888 gen 3) - it's generally fine, but with stupid built in faults like the water pump/thermostat housing that really should've been resolved by now.

The Superb is an odd car - friend has an estate and loves it (but then his previous car was a 58 plate Mondeo estate diesel, so the bar is VERY low!)

Goran 15th March 2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 169043)
Gen3 might be ok, but even in the B8 they've been dire. Having seen them in bits, and seen some of the insane design decisions, I wouldn't touch one of any generation. Still, I don't trust anything made after 2005 so take that fwiw :D

:ROFL:

I’m with you on that! Normally I hate turbos too, more stuff to go wrong.
The other one I really want is the V8 C63, but I don’t think I can stomach £600 road tax 🤣
Seems like a nice engine from a layman’s point if view, NA, plus the version with SLS internals sounds more reliable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 169044)
Our Golf has the CHHA engine (PP spec EA888 gen 3) - it's generally fine, but with stupid built in faults like the water pump/thermostat housing that really should've been resolved by now.

The Superb is an odd car - friend has an estate and loves it (but then his previous car was a 58 plate Mondeo estate diesel, so the bar is VERY low!)

Thanks Adrian. I guess I should drive one to see how they feel.
Or maybe I should just keep saving for a EV eventually.

Sit down, Waldo 15th March 2022 04:21 PM

Briskoda forum is the place to be.

This guy tuned his to 560 ps...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...80ps-to-560ps/

tintin 15th March 2022 05:04 PM

Strange but true...

Well, a Skoda Superb is the only car I'd ever have considered replacing Herman with (until you-know-who came along...:rolleyes:) - simply because being sat in one felt almost exactly the same as my S8.

I never drove one though, so can't comment on engines, handling etc....

MikkiJayne 15th March 2022 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 169045)
The other one I really want is the V8 C63, but I don’t think I can stomach £600 road tax 🤣

That sounds much more sensible, with the only slight rub being the hubris of the AMG engineers leading them to not fit an oil pressure sensor, but seal the oil pump to the block with an o-ring :tuttut: It'll explode eventually, the same as the EA888, but be much more fun in the meantime :ROFL:

Goran 15th March 2022 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 169047)
Well, a Skoda Superb is the only car I'd ever have considered replacing Herman with (until you-know-who came along...:rolleyes:) - simply because being sat in one felt almost exactly the same as my S8.

I never drove one though, so can't comment on engines, handling etc....

Thanks Tintin +++ that’s what I like to hear! Now that makes me want to try one even more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 169048)
That sounds much more sensible, with the only slight rub being the hubris of the AMG engineers leading them to not fit an oil pressure sensor, but seal the oil pump to the block with an o-ring :tuttut: It'll explode eventually, the same as the EA888, but be much more fun in the meantime :ROFL:

Oh dear that is a bad design flaw. I really didn’t expect that on a hand built Mercedes performance engine. Has someone come up with an upgrade for the oil pump to block joint?