A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   VCDS (aka Vagcom) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Quick question folks! Can I get my serial interface Chinese Vag Com cable working? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15550)

C4R 100N 28th February 2020 11:51 AM

Quick question folks! Can I get my serial interface Chinese Vag Com cable working?

1 Attachment(s)
...If I buy a serial to USB interface working?

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I have a newer laptop that only has a USB port and no serial interface. My old laptop with serial interface only works when plugged in to power supply and this is not an option where my car is currently stranded....unless some stranger comes to the rescue with an inverter or a generator.

Attachment 22946

Thanks stacks,

Paul

moltuae 28th February 2020 03:24 PM

I haven't specifically tried VAG-Com with a USB/Serial adaptor, so I can't comment on whether it will work (although I see no reason why it shouldn't) but in my experience with customer (IT) equipment, adaptors with the Prolific chipset are the ones to look for (such as this). Some USB/serial adaptors don't work well with certain equipment (generally due to timing/delay issues). Prolific-based adaptors seem to play well with everything.

MikkiJayne 28th February 2020 04:08 PM

The FTDI chipset-based devices are an utter nightmare to get the drivers working. I would rather change a fuel pump and crank sensor than try and install one of these abominations.

C4R 100N 29th February 2020 02:58 AM

Before I go and buy that adapter I think that I will knock on the door acroos the road and see if they will let me use their power for a little while. At least I know I can scan the car with my old laptop as I have already done so to reset the service intervals on the S8 and clear some old codes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 156034)
I haven't specifically tried VAG-Com with a USB/Serial adaptor, so I can't comment on whether it will work (although I see no reason why it shouldn't) but in my experience with customer (IT) equipment, adaptors with the Prolific chipset are the ones to look for (such as this). Some USB/serial adaptors don't work well with certain equipment (generally due to timing/delay issues). Prolific-based adaptors seem to play well with everything.

Thank you very much for that useful information. I hope that the ones that I have available to buy use that chipset. +++

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 156036)
The FTDI chipset-based devices are an utter nightmare to get the drivers working. I would rather change a fuel pump and crank sensor than try and install one of these abominations.

Are you referring to the USB interfaced cables?

I have been using this cheap serial interface cable for years with good results. Admittedly, I have only really used it for basic things like resetting service intervals, scanning modules, output tests and basic readings. I use vwtool mostly, but have also got vagcom 409.1 and VCDS working with it.

MikkiJayne 29th February 2020 08:22 AM

I'm thinking specifically of a USB to Serial adapter that I tried to use with an eprom programmer. Trying to get the virtual com ports to work with the FTDI drivers on Windows 7 was not an experience I plan to repeat!

Definitely sounds like Prolific adapters are less vexing +++

johnny_quattro 29th February 2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 156034)
...Some USB/serial adaptors don't work well with certain equipment (generally due to timing/delay issues). Prolific-based adaptors seem to play well with everything.

I'll second that about Prolific USB-Serial adapters. I only use these nowadays for old skool serial console access from my server to the SparcStation 20. Works perfectly in Devuan/Debian/Linux and Windows.

My example:
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port