A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A new invention (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13917)

Audidothat 12th March 2018 10:36 AM

A new invention

Why isn’t there a system that collects rain water and feeds it into the window wash bottle?

The collection point could be at the foot of the windscreen or under the bonnet shut on the wing somewhere, it could have a plastic mesh filter on it and feed a wideish bore tube straight into the bottle.

I was sat in hammering rain yesterday for at least 3 hours, what a waste!

Anyway when it has made me millions I will remember you all with fondness.

Please accept this thread as evidence of ownership of the IP LOL!

Architex_mA8tey 12th March 2018 10:44 AM

probably because it doesn't rain washer fluid pre-mixed to the right solution, but surely its not beyond audi to have designed a "pre-bottle feed" reservoir to house neat undiluted washer fluid to feed into your new (patent pending) device! +++

steamship 12th March 2018 12:54 PM

I always wondered about this, but I suspect it's because the water coming off the windscreen would not always be clean, like rainwater.

Now, if we could only build a filtration unit that could thoroughly clean the water, combined with the pre-mix dilemma of getting the correct ratio of washer fluid, and this time next year we could be..... skint!

Architex_mA8tey 12th March 2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 138828)
I always wondered about this, but I suspect it's because the water coming off the windscreen would not always be clean, like rainwater.

Now, if we could only build a filtration unit that could thoroughly clean the water, combined with the pre-mix dilemma of getting the correct ratio of washer fluid, and this time next year we could be..... skint!

or if you are driving a D3 then half of it will leak out one of the many points that seem to leak regularly lol

Audidothat 12th March 2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 138829)
or if you are driving a D3 then half of it will leak out one of the many points that seem to leak regularly lol

Maybe the collection point could be in the passenger footwell, the carpet would be utilised as the filter!

vagdream 12th March 2018 02:52 PM

Just under Botang's hole?

27litres 12th March 2018 11:01 PM

1 micron reverse osmosis filter with a pressure pump :ROFL:

David's8 13th March 2018 07:19 PM

You could, of course, replicate the engineering ingenuity of our steam engine designers and have an under car scoop to pick up road water, passing it through a filter before filling your screen wash bottle. +++

Audidothat 13th March 2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 138901)
You could, of course, replicate the engineering ingenuity of our steam engine designers and have an under car scoop to pick up road water, passing it through a filter before filling your screen wash bottle. +++

I think you’re onto something! What about a collection device placed in the front grill to collect the rain as one drives along? Like the basket on the end of an inflight refuelling pipe but working in reverse.

IT 13th March 2018 09:10 PM

One for the chemists. Would be be feasible to distil the collected rain water into a more pure form for washing windows with ?

Subject to all the complications of preventing it freezing in winter etc !