A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   VCDS (aka Vagcom) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Alternative to VAGCOM? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10897)

gninnam 2nd December 2015 08:55 PM

Alternative to VAGCOM?

Just saw this post on the TT forum I frequent and thought someone here might already know about it or would be interested - not tried it yet but will look to get one.

To quote the guy who has one:

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd share my experience since I've seen a few people asking about VCDS (VAG-COM) and buying cheap copies on the net.

I've had VAG-COM for many, many years, but I use it with a 'dumb' cable. This means it works great with versions up to 409 (released in 2004), but nothing since then. While this is fine for our mk1 TTs, it isn't any use for the more modern full CAN cars . I recently bought a 2008 Passat (not a great move, but hey...) and found my version of VAG-COM will not work any more. Now I could shell out hundreds on a new interface and latest version of VCDS, but for what I use it for, that's way over the top.

What I really wanted was a simple solution for checking and clearing fault codes and doing a little coding. I have previously used Torque for Android, which is quite frankly, garbage. On my BMWs, I used an app called BMWhat (again Android), which is actually very good. I have been searching for something similar for VAG cars and came across OBDEleven http://obdeleven.com/

I've been using this for a couple of weeks and I have to say, for the casual user, it's even better than VCDS. It reads and clears faults, does live data logging, coding, adaption, basic settings, output tests, etc. And all this without having to carry a laptop around. It also stores a history of coding (by car!), so if you make a mistake, you have the original values to go back to. This alone is miles better than VAG-COM for me, where you are told to 'make a note' of you original values.
So far, I've done a few bits of coding on the Passat, like changing the colour scheme on the RNS510 and checking fault codes on the TT. All works perfectly.

All in all, I definitely recommend this over VCDS unless you are a real power user or garage owner. And the Pro version is only about £22.00! Massive bonus. One point though, it's Android only, so all you Apple sheep aren't covered :P

I'm happy to answer questions on this as buying from Latvia was a bit of a gamble for me, but it was a nice smooth and quick transaction.

moltuae 3rd December 2015 06:03 AM

Thanks +++

Sounds good. And at just a little over 30 quid, it's worth a try.

Just ordered one :)

gninnam 3rd December 2015 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 103308)
Thanks +++

No probs.
Hope it works out and let us no how you get on with it :)

Architex_mA8tey 3rd December 2015 10:10 AM

For apple phones I've been using a wifi (rather than bluetooth) OBD sender to plug into the port, and then there are many apps you can get. Iphones don't like bluetooth unless the sender is specifically designed as an iphone bluetooth sender as they use a different set of protocols apparently. The app i use for day to day stuff is called "EOBD-Facile" but there are many out there (I think others have used the "Torque" programme on android phones.

moltuae 3rd December 2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 103317)
For apple phones I've been using a wifi (rather than bluetooth) OBD sender to plug into the port, and then there are many apps you can get. Iphones don't like bluetooth unless the sender is specifically designed as an iphone bluetooth sender as they use a different set of protocols apparently. The app i use for day to day stuff is called "EOBD-Facile" but there are many out there (I think others have used the "Torque" programme on android phones.

I presently have one of these that works with Torque, etc:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009NPAORC
(Note: If you use one of these, don't leave it plugged in. It sometimes prevents the car from starting if you do).

Torque is great, but yeah, a friend of mine (who is also unfortunate enough to own a few Apple products ;) ) had to make do with WiFi and some other inferior Apps too.

gninnam 3rd December 2015 11:11 AM

I use something similiar with Torque, but the software is limited in what it can do (just engine) while this OBDeleven software can do a lot more(from what I have read)

ulfilias 12th January 2016 04:25 PM

Just picked one up via ebay £28 delivered seems an interesting gamble. While I may look at picking up a newer vagcom (D2 S8 was fine with ebay cable) when i get a D3, it's handy to have something like this in the glove compartment for use with your phone when away from home!

On my RX8 i had a nice Vgate one and a Nexus 7 tablet install. Torque Pro was surprisingly fun to have a display of how the car is running and ODB Doctor was handy for a basic check of how things were going!

moltuae 12th January 2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulfilias (Post 104793)
Just picked one up via ebay £28 delivered seems an interesting gamble. While I may look at picking up a newer vagcom (D2 S8 was fine with ebay cable) when i get a D3, it's handy to have something like this in the glove compartment for use with your phone when away from home!

Received mine a while ago. Only used it a few times, but it seems to work well.

As you say, handy for the glove box. Quick and easy way to check and reset fault codes.

Only slight issue for me so far was that, on a FL D2 at least, once you plug it in, it's difficulty to get back out. The sides are smooth/slippery and, because it sits completely in the recess, there's little to grab hold of. As a workaround, I took mine apart, drilled the case and added a cable tie as a grab handle.

I like how the app automatically scans for a VIN code, figures out which vehicle it's being used on, then adds a library image of the vehicle model to the page header.

For a moment I thought it'd somehow found an actual photo of my car! ...

http://i.imgur.com/CheXUHY.png

ulfilias 19th April 2016 11:54 AM

I've had mine for a little while and I quite like it. Handy particularly for fault diagnosis as it has a little google icon and googles the fault for you. Quicker than firing up my net top and sits in the ash tray on my D3

I will say one of the first things you should do it pop off the white cover (it's clipped on and saves damaging the electrics) and drill a couple of holes in it and thread some wire to it....Or maybe epoxy a handle on it as being so small it can be a bugger to get out for the OBDC slot!

Don't think it will replace VCDS as the indepth tracking of values on a module with a decent screen is nice, but for casual fault finding, scanning modules or the odd tweak it's great. Much easier to use when looking at a car too i'd guess!

Lee

pete-p 19th April 2016 03:03 PM

I might see if this works with my BlackBerry Z30. I've installed the app already which seems good, but just need the dongle. I like that it's Bluetooth as the wire can get in the way, but it would have saved some money if it worked with the VAG-COM cable (or similar) through the micro USB connection.

ulfilias 27th April 2016 11:54 AM

The Dongle won't work with VAGCOM because the vagcom licencing won't let it and RossTech are very agressive at protecting their property which is why even the expensive (£50) clone cables only work with a fixed version of the software as every update they kill off any copy cables.

There's little point in having the ODB11 app working with a £300 cable and besides the ODB11 people want you to buy their bit of hardware as well as the pro licence.

Oh and DON'T leave the dongle in the car fitted all the time, use it and remove it to the glove box / ash tray when done.

Lee

johnny_quattro 8th May 2016 03:21 PM

My OBDeleven dongle arived yesterday

Installed it in my A8L today and spent a wonderful half hour going through codings etc. I now have the auto-door lock function enabled for the central locking. Previous value was 13130, to which I simply added the value of 32 to make it 13162. The feeling of satisfaction was immense, I'm sorry to say/admit. It also unlocks the doors on ignition off.

The app itself has revealed a few electrical maladies too, namely the usual flap motors for the climate control as well as spurious values from the rear headlight-levelling sensor.

I thoroughly recommend this OBDeleven dongle/app - my ELM237 OBDII blue dongle is no longer used.

Oodoom 12th August 2016 10:19 AM

Got myself an OBDeleven last week - Im a total A8 noob (only had my car a couple of weeks) and am no expert on VCDS so I cant compare the 2 very well, but so far Im rather pleased with it.

Id be grateful if anyone has any tips on how to use it, what coding tweaks can be made, etc, etc.

Does anyone know if the suspension height calibration (module 34 apparently) can be done with this unit?

One thing I will say is to echo what Moltuae and Ulfilias have said - once its in its a complete pig to get out! I chopped the ends off a cable tie and superglued it to the case to make a handle - much easier now.

gninnam 8th November 2016 07:16 PM

So - took the plunge and bought one as my airbag light came on and MOT due next week :)
I know why it came on but wanted to verify and then clear the fault - which it did so all good.

Will get to play with it a bit more over the coming weeks but so far - good for the price +++

ulfilias 11th November 2016 10:55 AM

Oodoom - Suspension height is quite complex, though in theory i can't see why it couldn't be done. You'd have to work through the ross tech stuff and use the code numbers documenting the proceedure etc as there isn't an "easy" follow through thing on the odb11 but I believe it's fully functional in what it does, so you can code anything in theory....Personally having done it, i'd be tempted with a hard coded ~£50 vagcom lead (you can only use the version of software it came with and upgrading kills the lead and it's a dodgy / risky (as in no support etc))....Or the full version!

RS6 22nd November 2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny_quattro (Post 111794)
Installed it in my A8L today and spent a wonderful half hour going through codings etc. I now have the auto-door lock function enabled for the central locking. Previous value was 13130, to which I simply added the value of 32 to make it 13162. The feeling of satisfaction was immense, I'm sorry to say/admit. It also unlocks the doors on ignition off.

The app itself has revealed a few electrical maladies too, namely the usual flap motors for the climate control as well as spurious values from the rear headlight-levelling sensor.

I thoroughly recommend this OBDeleven dongle/app - my ELM237 OBDII blue dongle is no longer used.

Sounds like you have also enabled anti hijack locks over 15mph and unlocks when key is removed

Should be able to code alarm cherp as well for doors lock +++

ulfilias 17th April 2018 10:48 AM

Hi There,

This is getting to be quite a useful tool, with lots of options and development going on.

Also found this youtube channel from the stateside distributor, while it's aimed at more average cars, there's a lot of info on how it works and so forth

https://www.youtube.com/user/Deutsch...able_polymer=1

ulfilias 5th September 2018 03:37 PM

Hi There,

Was just searching the net in regards to a Bosch ABS module flashing and came across someone recommending Carista - It's an app on Android and iPhone

Has a week £8.99 paid thing or Thirty something a year. However the Bluetooth dongle is only £19.99 *OR* and this is the bit that piqued my interest it works with ELM adaptors too.

I've an old VGATE bluetooth dongle which I used for Torque and a few other bits on my RX8 and if you've played with Car dongles in the last few years then you've probably got one and it's worth a play.

The Vgate one worked and it's a nice APP. There's three functions. Check Faults, Diagnose and Customise.
They're a bit slow as in a couple of minutes as it accesses each module and it doesn't really give you control like ODB11 or VCDS etc

However it read the fault codes. Got 44 for mine which seemed high compared with the other tools, but the they're locked in terms of obviscated numbers and clearing costs.

Customise gave things on lights, locking options (indicators, beep, double press(free)), Menu options and Nav eject - They were on / off options, nice dumb and easy to do rather than coding numbers or changing bits, which I see useful to people that VCDS scares. Also if you've got a dongle you can see what you have / can do without purchase

Service allowed you to reset the service indicators, there also seemed to be a readiness check and clear (free). There was a parking brake option, but it had lots of warnings and to be honest i'd probably grab something else. But it *MAY* be useful.

All in quite impressed for user interface and really low cost of entry.

https://caristaapp.com/

madcjd 23rd September 2018 08:47 AM

Hi.
I've read with interest your informative write ups on the 'obdeleven' and the 'carista'.
Did you buy the latter too?
I only use the laptop VCDS and, being a copy, it does crash out occasionally on my D3.

I was just about to go for the OBDELEVEN, until I saw your link to the $20 Bluetooth adapter.
Being an OBD numpty, I'm not familiar with the apps you've mentioned it works with, so does that mean you don't have to subscribe to their $40 per annum service (which to be fair isn't too costly)?

I confess to being an Apple sheep 'baaaaaaah'

Thanks, Chris

homer simpson 23rd September 2018 10:08 AM

I have not used Carista but have seen a lot of good comments about it.I don't think it can do as much as VCDS but is better than the cheap OBD adaptors.

madcjd 24th September 2018 11:12 AM

Ok -cheers.
Have you used the previously mentioned obdeleven?

homer simpson 24th September 2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcjd (Post 145244)
Ok -cheers.
Have you used the previously mentioned obdeleven?

I haven't - sorry

Simonbartlett 24th September 2018 02:41 PM

I have used obdeleven on my cars for fault finding, service resets and coding. It seems to work well. Obviously not as good as vcds but it’s not £300. I think I paid about £40 for it a couple of years ago.

Simonbartlett 24th September 2018 02:43 PM

Obdeleven is only for vag cars ! I guess you know that

ulfilias 27th September 2018 04:16 PM

Carista is basic, but uses a cheap dongle you may have for other things (i did). You can download and test the app without buying it and see what you can do on your car with it. It's simple, limited but will give you codes and some ideas of what is going on. It's better than a basic scan tool.

ODB11 is pretty good. I keep my dongle in the car ash tray as it's useful when traveling. Cost for the dongle is reasonable and there are two versions of the software. Uses a smart phone and gives you almost as much information as VCDS, though it's more powerful if you know how to use VCDS and can look up procedures.
I just did my rear brakes with it rather than getting out the laptop and you CAN do almost all of what VCDS does, though I'd argue the adaption / basic settings are easier to use on VCDS

VCDS is the rolls royce of DIY VAG cars. Original cables are a few hundred and you need a laptop. You need to be careful buying second hand that it IS an original.
Decent clone cables are still expensive (~£50) and locked to a specific older version of software, come with no support and are a bit hit and miss.
Cheap cables (£5-£20) 490.1 are REALLY old and limited to a shareware / hacked shareware version. This way frustration lies

ODIS / VAS 6154 - Dealer level stuff. Either old or Clone stuff. Some of it needs online accounts. I've been occasionally tempted to play

Lee

gninnam 14th October 2018 01:18 PM

Running an Android based car stereo and installed OBD11, but couldn't get it to connect due to the fact the software was designed for portrait only and the connect button did not show.
Raised this with them and they told me they will look into it for the next release. :)

Good on them - they sorted it. You can choose between landscape and portrait now so all good +++

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psy2c0vqds.jpg

No need to use my phone or tablet now as always available - sweet
(Just need to code the stereo out as it shows as not being there.....)

Tjalling 15th October 2018 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When you have codes that keep comming back , you can use this cable

MikkiJayne 15th October 2018 09:22 PM

Definitely not getting any more codes after that one :ROFL:

DailyMike 23rd March 2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 103308)
Thanks +++

Hi Mark.

What's your experience of this so far?

Cheers,

Mike.

moltuae 24th March 2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyMike (Post 149046)
Hi Mark.

What's your experience of this so far?

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

It works pretty well.

Connectivity and scanning can be a bit temperamental at times but that's more of a Bluetooth issue than a fault with the device. Usually if you turn Bluetooth off/on on the phone/tablet or restart the phone/tablet, it connects and scans successfully.

I did have a few issues with it recently, in that it would scan for fault codes but was unable to reset them. A few weeks later it wouldn't connect and gave a "not authorised" error. I contacted Support and they replied within the hour. They fixed the issue and now it works again +++

Zip 11th March 2020 03:51 PM

Is OBDEleven still the best cheaper VCDS alternative...?

Resurrecting thread...

After 12 years a D2 owner, now wanting to do some OBD stuff.

Thoughts?

Zip

Zip 11th March 2020 08:42 PM

Anyone tried this Carly thing that keeps popping up on my fb feed?

Zip

HPsauce 11th March 2020 08:45 PM

Isn't Carly for BMW? I didn't know they had an Audi version.
Friend of mine has it for his BMW but he bought it some time ago when it was an "unlimited/perpetual" licence.
Nowadays (certainly for BMW) you have to firstly buy the device then pay an annual fee to activate it that isn't at all obvious what it is! :tuttut:
It's not that cheap either.....

At the end of the day, VCDS is the gold standard for gold standard vehicles. +++
And the 3-VIN version costs less than 3 tanks of A8 fuel. In fact with an S8 90-litre tank, it's less than 2 full tanks of 99RON.

steamship 12th March 2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip (Post 156322)
Anyone tried this Carly thing that keeps popping up on my fb feed?

Zip

Have never used it as I prefer to use a laptop instead of a smartphone, but from the reviews on a couple of sites, it doesn't appear to be up to the job, especially with the VAG range of cars. Issues of ongoing promised support and harvesting data seem common.

I would ignore any YouTube reviews, as the one's I've looked at seem like sponsored ads, and everyone raves about how good it is. Check out the written reviews on these two sites:

https://appgrooves.com/app/carly-for...rankt/negative

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.mycarly.com

ulfilias 13th March 2020 11:50 AM

VCDS is great.

On the D2 you may well be able to get away with an OLD version. I started off that way but ended up with a unrestricted full version later. It's really useful though there is certainly a learning curve!

I've also an ODB11 little dongle that sits in my ash tray for emergencies. It's cheaper and uses a mobile and is pretty full featured in the "pro" mode. Though arguably a bit of knowledge with VCDS helps here as a lot of bits of techy stuff are less hand holdy, though some functions are more user friendly!

I'm a little wary of some of the other phone/dongle things being much more than a basic odb2 tool....i've a couple of cheap ones and they are fine for viewing, so like torque but VERY limited on changing things.