A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Sat Nav retro fit -what is required? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5295)

Kenquattro 3rd September 2012 09:32 AM

Sat Nav retro fit -what is required?

My A8 does not have the factory optional extra of sat nav. If I was to consider fitting the RNS-D unit, what else would be required? My car is fitted with Symphony 2 with the front load 6 cd and Bose. I realise I would need a CD Changer for the boot, along with the bracket and boot trim with the bulge. I also realise the RNS-E is a better unit, and have had both the RNS-D and RNS-E factory fitted in previous cars. However, I wouldn't be using the sat nav bit, just as I never did in both my previous A6s fitted with these units. My Tom Tom is a lot quicker/easier to use for that. My car is a March 2002 A8 D2.

goglawrie 3rd September 2012 01:18 PM

what you need

Unit Rnsd boot Ariel I think you need double din unit
That the sat/tv unit goes into, the wood effect trim and cables I think
I have most bits if you want these bits I don't have the cables pm me if interested thanks

Kenquattro 23rd October 2012 08:48 PM

Update.

I have now got a RNS C/D. Part number ends in 'E', so unless mistaken, it will be an RNS C? Now I need to start gathering the other 'bits' needed to complete the retro fit. As my car (March 2002 D2 A8) was originally ordered and specced up by a skinflint (Leeds Audi demo), it left the factory never having any sort of Sat Nav. Therefore, as well as the Nav Plus unit and Operating Instructions booklet which I have now got, I will need to obtain the following, 6 CD Changer and long lead to the head unit, CD Changer bracket for the boot, left hand boot trim with the bulge for the CD Changer and GPS thingy for the boot lid. What else do I need? The current head unit is a Symphony 2 double DIN with integral 6CD and factory BOSE.

Kenquattro 23rd October 2012 09:10 PM

* Forgot to add, what type of Nav CD will I need, and where is the best place to get one? eBay?

HPsauce 23rd October 2012 09:21 PM

It depends HUGELY on whether you have RNS-C or D.
I would have thought that vintage '8 was equipped for an RNS-D, but I'm no expert.

If it really is an RNS-C there is a "final" CD (non-DX) which I think is from 2007.
Several people, including me, can provide a "backup copy" of that for appropriate small recompense. Original copies are about £60 I think.
Edit. Sorry more like £80 (maybe cheaper on eBay?) : http://www.bluespot.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/map-cdrom-uk

Kenquattro 23rd October 2012 09:38 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Part no for the RNS unit is 4DO 035 192E. Could anybody confirm if it is an RNS C or RNS D?

HPsauce 23rd October 2012 09:49 PM

What EXACTLY do the 2 big wide buttons bottom left and bottom right have printed on them?

Kenquattro 23rd October 2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 48475)
What EXACTLY do the 2 big wide buttons bottom left and bottom right have printed on them?

Bottom left says, 'RADIO/CD/TV' and bottom right says, 'NAVIGATION'.

HPsauce 23rd October 2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenquattro (Post 48473)
Part no for the RNS unit is 4DO 035 192E.

My RNS-C is identified by VCDS as 4D0 035 192 C.

RNS-C does not have TV on the buttons either, so it's not one of those.

briang9 23rd October 2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenquattro (Post 48473)
Thanks for the quick reply. Part no for the RNS unit is 4DO 035 192E. Could anybody confirm if it is an RNS C or RNS D?

guess that will be the "C" then I have the old RNS-D unit from mine (told SWMBO that it would come in handy;)) in front of me now and its part no is

4DO 035 192M

cheers

edit.... just read HPs post after posting this, part no from mine is def an RNS-D from an S8 (Sep 2002), not sure if different RNS-D from different models/years (A4/A6) would have a different last letter, someone who knows more about these things will no doubt be along soon, also if you Google your part no seems to feature heavily on USA sites, maybe you have a USA unit?