A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Q7 4L (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Q7 ?? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5640)

Glync 16th November 2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda (Post 49498)
Before you buy one.............. tires are approx £1200 (with 4x4 alinement) a time and I could only get my set to last 8 mths!. So I binned mine and got a c5 rs6 and believe it or not that is cheaper to run as a daily :ROFL:

Thanks Amanda
Although I suppose the tyres are the same or nearly on the 8
And I still have them scrubbing off the inside edge on the front despite audis alignment !
I shall make sue I check the tyres are new then at least!
Never considered the Volvo I might have a look now. Although I do like my Audi
Might even look at the dark side and head down the Merc showroom and take a gander at the ML
Thanks for all the pointers folks
Cheers Glyn
:)

The_Laird 16th November 2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glync (Post 49511)
Never considered the Volvo I might have a look now. Might even look at the dark side and head down the Merc showroom and take a gander at the ML

:eek:

Mods, is this grounds for exclusion? :)

Architex_mA8tey 16th November 2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 49513)
:eek:

Mods, is this grounds for exclusion? :)

no if he buys an ML then that will be punishment enough !! :D

The_Laird 16th November 2012 11:29 AM

:rofl:
Quote:

Originally Posted by glync (Post 49511)
thanks amanda
although i suppose the tyres are the same or nearly on the 8
and i still have them scrubbing off the inside edge on the front despite audis alignment !
I shall make sue i check the tyres are new then at least!
Never considered the volvo i might have a look now. Although i do like my audi
might even look at the dark side and head down the merc showroom and take a gander at the ml
thanks for all the pointers folks
cheers glyn

Quote:

Originally Posted by architex_ma8tey (Post 49521)
no if he buys an ml then that will be punishment enough !! :d

:rofl:

Adrian E 16th November 2012 01:20 PM

I think Ian was expecting his Q7 to follow the oft-reported tyre eating trick of a pair of fronts in about 10k miles due to scrubbing them on full lock, so not great if you do lots of town work? On smaller wheels I guess it's less of an issue.

Have a look at the Toureg if you want some ground clearance and don't need the full 7 seater. I gather the V10 diesel is quite amusing, albeit ruinous if one of the common faults rears its head requiring the engine to come out to fix it. There are a couple of other diesel engine options, depending on budget and fuel economy needs. I was looking recently and it's hard to find one with poor spec, apart from a few obvious shockers with flat paint and tiny wheels.

I always think of the Q7 as more of a giant faux 4x4 MPV crossover type thing that's best suited to car park bashing and the school run, but maybe that's just because it's where I see most of them lol

PsYcHe 16th November 2012 02:24 PM

Colleague has a 'rag.. It's OK.. Much nicer place than the XC90 tbh, but again, a chunk more expensive :) A good middle place between that and a Q7 if you don't need the 7 seats.

IT 16th November 2012 06:38 PM

Well, interestingly, it's the a8 I have chosen to let go in the grand scheme of things to enable me to keep the q7

Partly because I've never had a q7 to bomb around in for work, so fancy a Change, but also because it's good to drive, practical, roomy and rightly or wrongly seems to get a lot of admiration.....

Tyre wear hasn't been a huge problem for us,even with 100% town driving. had it a year and has cost me nothing other than an oil change service and an MOT....