A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   weight saving (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2617)

darrenjoe90 19th February 2011 01:10 PM

weight saving

some may say i am mad but i have just bought an audi tyre compressor and tyre sealent so i can now remove my spare wheel +++ has anybody felt the weight of the spare ? its a full size 18" avus. hoping over a year it will pay for its self in increased fuel economy.

Architex_mA8tey 19th February 2011 02:21 PM

Hmm lightening before Germany methinks!
Good idea though it will be good to understand how much you think it's saving +++

darrenjoe90 19th February 2011 08:01 PM

tomorrow my car will be going for a few bits of work doing. it will take about two weeks to complete and at a cost in excess of £2000. when i get her back she will be lighter, faster, more powerfull, stop better and she will be in a lot better condition with not a mark on the paintwork or wheels.
looking forward to this year +++

The_Laird 19th February 2011 08:29 PM

Hey Darren

I hope the weight saving pays dividends, but I doubt you'll get payback for some time.

On a related topic, I've been keeping a very detailed log on apparent fuel savings on 'premium' fuel in my S8 for over 6 months now and have to conclude that it's a total myth (a view supported by recent media reports) that the additional cost of premium fuel pays for itself on better mpg.

Adrian E 19th February 2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlue8 (Post 18442)
On a related topic, I've been keeping a very detailed log on apparent fuel savings on 'premium' fuel in my S8 for over 6 months now and have to conclude that it's a total myth (a view supported by recent media reports) that the additional cost of premium fuel pays for itself on better mpg.

I ran mine down to 15 miles range after collecting from the bodyshop and decided to stick 98 Octane in for a change. Will see if my 18-20mpg average improves as a result. Paying a 7p/litre premium down here, so it'd have to be pretty spectacular to pay for itself!

I'll probably run 2 tanks like this and then swap back - probably just as the weather improves and cold starts aren't just pouring unburnt fuel out the back!

Dezzy 21st February 2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenjoe90 (Post 18427)
some may say i am mad but i have just bought an audi tyre compressor and tyre sealent so i can now remove my spare wheel +++ has anybody felt the weight of the spare ? its a full size 18" avus. hoping over a year it will pay for its self in increased fuel economy.

Darren those tyre sealants are ok for the short term but once used in a tyre it cannot be repaired as the repair patches react with the sealant and won't stick.

So basically once used new tyre is required and in that case carrying a full size spare and not new tyres is cheaper.
But how many times have you had to change a wheel because of puncture while on route?

darrenjoe90 21st February 2011 07:20 PM

i think i would only use the tyre sealant in an emergency. if its just a slow puncture i have the compressor and can get it repaired +++

jayzee 21st February 2011 07:59 PM

Wouldn't risk it mate.

Ripped my front tyre to shreds only the other day. Would have been fooked if I didn't have a spare.

Same happened in the E60 3 years ago, and a Renault 19 16v 16 years ago.

What I'm trying to say is... You just don't know when a tyre will shred.

Up to you mate, but personally to save a few KGs, I wouldn't bother.

Goran 21st February 2011 10:19 PM

just out of curiosity, the 18" 6-spoke avus wheel with tyre weighs 24kg (depending on tyre) :)
wheel itself is 12kg

jayzee 22nd February 2011 12:22 AM

That's nothing! :)