A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   FL A8 seats upgrade (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10453)

peiiider 23rd August 2015 01:21 PM

FL A8 seats upgrade

Hello.

Got a deal off Ebay on a set of sport seats from Germany, matching color with my standard "Swing" interior.

Standard seats have heating, electric seatback and lumbar adjustment in the front, nothing in the back. New seats are fully electric front and heating+lumbar+headrest adjustment in the rear..

Physical installation I guess is no worries, it's the electric part I'm a litte confused about..

Does anybody know the extent of wiring to be installed ? Will ANYTHING fit from old to new at all ? I have access to wiring diagrams through elsa in my garage, but it's a pain going back and forth between the pages of new/old seats to see the differences...plus understanding what is actually inside the seat vs "car wiring"..

IT 23rd August 2015 02:09 PM

Front seats would normally be a straight swap on a FL as they should all include airbags and rear footwell lights.

Assuming you're RHD, and these being from a LHD ? car though you will have to watch out for whether your new drivers seat has memory function, and airbag system may complain if the new passenger seat has no occupancy sensor, which I guess it wont have.

In the rear, again subject to you already having airbags etc, then its a fairly easy install but you'll need to supply some +12 into the rear seats for the lumbar / headrest to move. If you want the full oem look, you need to run a wire to the front for the headrest lowering switch too. Heating is a bit more complicated, but runs from the fuse box in the right hand side of the boot, into the switches in the back of the center console and back to the rear seats.

I'm assuming you've matched swb/swb or lwb/lwb as the recline angle of the LWB is different to the SWB and they seats wont fit properly without some mods in the rear if you mismatch.....

Edit: Just seen you're in Norway, so that the RHD/LHD bit covered, but I've left it in as advice to anyone else considering an import +++

Adrian E 23rd August 2015 02:16 PM

Didn't you cover this install fully on your old A8 Ian? The silver one with S8 bits? Thread should be here somewhere....

peiiider 23rd August 2015 10:12 PM

Thanks for the replies :)

I read the thread about the seat install, but if I understood correctly that car already had sport seats and the rear seats were the "top spec" individual version.. So I guess that was a more complex issue :)

But okey, the rear seats are relatively straight forward, at least as far as the seats adjustment part. Only need the new circuit from rear fuse holder. I think I will drop the headrest button in dash, kind of prefer the cupholder insted of one "useless" button and two blanks :)

I see in elsa that the heating switches are a few wires each, for temp and occupacy sensors plus supply and heating. Should be no problem.

But you mean the front seats should be a direct (electric) replacement from mine? I thought I saw at least two or three different power supplies for the sport seats adjustment ? Or am I wrong.. Can't imagine I have that many fuses installed for my seatback and lumbar adjustment now ?

I believe the new seats have memory, mine don't. Will they still work if I don't install the memory modules and switches ?

IT 25th August 2015 09:26 AM

All D2 seats are a single +12 supply to get the motor functions working, and the switchgear is all built into the seat so it works without modification.

Memory is a separate feed, but seats should work just fine if you don't wire it in.

The individual rear seats I did also had heating, which had to be installed from scratch as the donor car has simple rear seats, so everything you need to do, I did + more for that install....

peiiider 25th August 2015 06:35 PM

Yeah from reading the thread I believe you it was a lot of work with those individual seats :) Impressive project!

Is there any point trying to get a used oem wiring loom for the rear heating ? Or did I read somewhere that the wires go from the rear switches, all the way in front under the dash and back again ? If so i guess it's easier to just make my own :p

peiiider 20th September 2015 10:42 PM

Well after carefully reading wiring diagrams in Elsawin I made a wiring loom from scratch and installed in the car :)

Luckily ALL the necessary pins were the same kind, and I already had a box of those in my tool cabinet :) But I had to buy all the connectors and fuse holder from the dealer, ended up costing around 100€ just for those small plastic parts... But now it's working and all is well :D

Also, after mounting the rear seats I found that one of the headrests and one of the lumbar up/down weren't working, so I had to take everything apart again and disassemble the rear backrest to fix it.. The motors were running but no movement, it was the steel wires between motor and mechanism that had slipped out of its place in one end..

Architex_mA8tey 20th September 2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peiiider (Post 99674)
Also, after mounting the rear seats I found that one of the headrests and one of the lumbar up/down weren't working, so I had to take everything apart again and disassemble the rear backrest to fix it.. The motors were running but no movement, it was the steel wires between motor and mechanism that had slipped out of its place in one end..

Hmm I wonder if this is the same problem on your car Andrew (HPSauce)?

HPsauce 21st September 2015 09:16 AM

Quite likely.

peiiider 21st September 2015 10:12 AM

It seems those steel wires are about 10mm too short, so in time they will slide down deeper into the square hole in the motor unit.

I pulled the wires out, cut the head off from a 3mm bolt and dropped the threaded part into the hole of the motor. That way the wire can't slide so deep, and it wont jump out from the other end..