A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Annual insurance game... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16890)

tintin 4th January 2023 01:23 PM

Annual insurance game...

My (multicar) policy always renews in early January, which results in the same, slightly unnecessary, game play of a hiked renewal, a poker-like game play on the phone, and a magical reduction from the original excessive quote.

This years game with Admiral was on a 35 minute phone call, which shaved just over £310 off their initial quote of £1190 for my 4 cars, including my S8 (which was a 22% increase on last year, with no real logical justification)

An annoying way to spend ah hour in the first week of the New Year, but at least it didn't take too long this year... :rolleyes:

Adrian E 4th January 2023 04:24 PM

I'm running out of time to do the same for my 2.....not helped by the renewal from LV not looking too horrific, and many insurers not being keen to cover the S5 without some stupid excess level!

Also got to do the whole Sky/Virgin Media waltz for TV and broadband.....

Nognar 4th January 2023 08:33 PM

This is really interesting,

Admiral Multicar here also, 4 cars and went from £600 to a quote of £1000 in an email that arrived yesterday.

I will have to do the same and play the phone game, what did you find got it back down again?

briang9 4th January 2023 11:09 PM

I've always found multi car policies more expensive than individual policies, and I always shop around at renewal, currently paying £630 for all 3.

tintin 5th January 2023 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 171678)
I've always found multi car policies more expensive than individual policies, and I always shop around at renewal, currently paying £630 for all 3.

So did I till a few years back Brian - funnily enough it was adding the Panda to the "fleet" that seemed to tip it decisively to being cheaper with Admiral, who have beaten separate quotes each year since then.

Conan_the_Librarian 5th January 2023 07:26 AM

I too was on Multi car insurance with LV. Full no claims on 3 cars. Couldn't budge them last year so insured them separately with LV, Tesco and Sheila's Wheels. Saved £145!

I think this shows that with no datum to judge by, every person / car combination / insures combination is going to produce different results. I may try a couple of brokers this year to see what that gets me.

tintin 5th January 2023 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nognar (Post 171675)
I will have to do the same and play the phone game, what did you find got it back down again?

Not much really - just me saying I wasn't happy with the renewal figure and wanted to have a chat before looking elsewhere: cue 4 or 5 iterations of discounting/loyalty bonuses/etc over the 30 minute call, till it got to the number I was happy with.

steamship 5th January 2023 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 171680)
I think this shows that with no datum to judge by, every person / car combination / insures combination is going to produce different results.

And location as well. Looking at the prices mentioned, you're still all paying less than I do for a single car. My last premium was £335 for standard fully comp.

Just wish my house insurance was as cheap. Just got my renewal in and it's gone from £464 to £705. Time to get on the phone.

tc4332 5th January 2023 10:49 AM

My renewal in September went up to £1K5 from £1100 for one car. In my case it is pure ageism. Everyone was quoting similiar apart from the ones that said no chance you are too ld for us.
Tesco emailed me offering it at £900 so I had to snap their fingers off.
Being old is crap.

Nognar 5th January 2023 05:10 PM

30 minutes on the phone and £140 saved.....