A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other marques (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   my other car (Company Car) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2256)

m3csl 24th October 2010 08:48 PM

my other car (Company Car)

5 Attachment(s)
Heres some pics of my other car (Company Car)

Singh 27th October 2010 10:19 PM

WOW, What company do you work for to get a company car like that and not a 4 pot oil burner?
Bet it drives like a dream... :love:

m3csl 28th October 2010 06:58 AM

Company Car

I'm the director of a Company that builds,designs and installs equipment for smart houses eg turn on lights,heating and open blinds via an Apple Ipad or Iphone.Also stream music and HD video via cat6-7 home network.So for a business perk I get am M3.
When I was choosing I drove an RS6,the 2.7biturbo RS4,the V10 M5,An E55k AMG and Noble M400.

The Noble M400 was not practicle for work and the RS6 was Awesome but needed the suspension sorted out.So the CSL won out of the other four.

Regards

M3CSL

IT 28th October 2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3csl (Post 15757)
I'm the director of a Company that builds,designs and installs equipment for smart houses eg turn on lights,heating and open blinds via an Apple Ipad or Iphone.Also stream music and HD video via cat6-7 home network.

Hmmmmmm... Interesting... I'm midway through designing and building my own DIY smart home, ticking all the same boxes really....

Are you building your own kit / control modules, or just packaging components from other manufacturers ?

m3csl 28th October 2010 09:33 AM

smart houses

Hi IT.About 5 years ago I put an Industrial PLC (Allen Bradley SLC 500)in a house and controlled the security,lighting,heating and electric curtains..The media and 1080P HD video was streammed using CAT 7 and Gefen Components.

At the moment I am doing a house using KNX and a Gira Homeserver 3.0 with an IPad.

The streamming of media is handled by a 10TB Nas server (Network Attached Storage) with a Blu-ray burner/ripper.

Let me know what you are doing.

Kind regards

M3CSL

IT 28th October 2010 09:54 AM

At present, all the sockets / lighting / garage doors / blinds and basically anything that can react to a contact relay or dimming circuit is handled by custom designed PCB's built from the ground up using PIC controllers. Very cheap to make and totally customisable, relitive to the 'off the shelf' kit.

Its first pass, and at the moment its driven by a single back end database which uses rs232 to drive all the modules via a custom app.

This database is then front ended with a pretty web front end which will be designed to run on PDA's and the growing numbers of internet tablets, including the likes of the Ipad. Everything runs through the database, giving unlimited multi-user / multi-interface opurtunities.

The goal was total integration, so temperature inputs will be present in the rooms, ventilation system, solar heating and outside along with sunlight sensors and trending patterns to run the heating / ventilation / blinds / smart glass at the optimum setting to keep the house comfortable at minimal cost.

All power circuits will be categorised for purpose and monitored for current drain, and this is turn can be used with home / away settings to reduce power consumption in unoccupied rooms. Each socket can be switched to UPS for resilience, or off for safety, as required.

Input boards take care of light switches, heating controls etc and can be simple contact switches or smarter capacitive touch screen glass with vibration feedback, which we've also custom built.

Bit masked cctv replaces pir's in wide coverage areas to ensure auto lighting isnt triggered falsely and improve accuracy.

Multimedia is on the agenda, but most of the hdmi matrix / Cat 5/6 baluns I was looking at were only hdmi 1.3, and 3D has pushed us up to 1.4, so might need a rethink there. Storage isnt an issue as I'm a data storage consultant by trade, and media will likely be delivered via Windows Media Center as I've known it for years and it goes from strength to strength.

So, automation, but with integration and efficiency as the key goal, but at a very affordable price.... (to me anyway +++)

m3csl 28th October 2010 11:29 AM

smart house

Hi IT.thats a nice system for not very much money.

Most of my Clients have lots of money to spend so cost isn't an issue.

The present project was going to use HDMI matrixes but at £4000 for a 4 x 4 unit it was not cost effective.so we opted for mini pc's attached to the back of the flat screen tv's which have hdmi outputs,these mini pc's can pick media from the NAS server and also show 'Sky Player and Iplayer'.

So doing it this way means that you have internet and media at each tv in any room and as you know Cat6 runs at about 4-6gb.

Regards

M3CSL

Architex_mA8tey 28th October 2010 09:26 PM

Cup of tea anyone, using my foot and hand interface and electrical cabling running kettle 1.2. :D. I should know more about all this stuff cos I love the idea but feckkkkkkkkk :Confused: :ROFL:

Conan_the_Librarian 29th October 2010 01:34 PM

So; do you nail the telly to the little computer or use a bolt gun?:ROFL:

m3csl 29th October 2010 07:16 PM

no you gritfill it stupid