A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   2002 D2 S8/A8 Alarm Siren volume upgrade (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13011)

barzya8 19th May 2017 10:07 AM

2002 D2 S8/A8 Alarm Siren volume upgrade

Hi Guys and Girls,
Has anyone successfully upgrade their car siren on a S8/A8 D2
I have just replaced my siren with a later version from our sponsors.
To say I was disappointed with the volume of my new alarm siren is an understatement.
Is there a way to increase the volume of the OEM siren via VCDS or has anyone been able to replace the unit with a much louder option.
I would like to leave the siren in its OEM location, so size of unit would be restrictive.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
David

Adrian E 19th May 2017 10:15 AM

Nothing you can change with VCDS, aside from making it chirp on locking. They are pathetically quiet, even if you buy a new one. The one time my old one went off when it needed to, it was too quiet to draw any attention to it!

Not aware of other options.....

David's8 19th May 2017 12:13 PM

The siren box contains a circuit board with a LOT of components which (I assume) is the amp for the horn output (and, possibly, some of the control circuitry for the whole alarm system?). The horn + and - outputs could, i suppose, be cut and re-routed to a more sensitive horn from, e.g. maplins. But to be frank, I havent been @rsed to go through with it

tintin 19th May 2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 128010)
The siren box contains a circuit board with a LOT of components which (I assume) is the amp for the horn output (and, possibly, some of the control circuitry for the whole alarm system?). The horn + and - outputs could, i suppose, be cut and re-routed to a more sensitive horn from, e.g. maplins. But to be frank, I havent been @rsed to go through with it

Pretty good summary of my view too....

HPsauce 19th May 2017 12:32 PM

The alarm unit is linked intelligently to other parts of the system which may limit what you can do.
And remember it has an internal battery and presumably some controls to stop it running the main car battery flat.

I guess you could add a supplementary, louder horn triggered via a relay when the OEM one sounds.

steamship 19th May 2017 01:33 PM

I had two of these fitted internally in a Vauxhall Nova with an isolator switch, as a surprise if anyone fancied stealing it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-VOLT-M...gAAOxyTjNSjgAv

2 x 110dB in a confined space +++

David's8 19th May 2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 128012)
The alarm unit is linked intelligently to other parts of the system which may limit what you can do.
And remember it has an internal battery and presumably some controls to stop it running the main car battery flat.

I guess you could add a supplementary, louder horn triggered via a relay when the OEM one sounds.

Yes, it was the issues over what else was controlled by the horn unit electronics which put me off to an extent. However, BrianG just removed the whole unit and his locking/alarm systems seem to work OK in its absence!

...and I'm sorry Sean but why all the effort with a Vauxhall Nova:p

steamship 19th May 2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 128027)
...and I'm sorry Sean but why all the effort with a Vauxhall Nova:p

Ouch! :-(

+++ It was my first car and cost me £7,000 at the time (less than a year old), so protecting my investment. :o

David's8 19th May 2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 128031)
Ouch! :-(

+++ It was my first car and cost me £7,000 at the time (less than a year old), so protecting my investment. :o

I'll get my coat :o

steamship 19th May 2017 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 128032)
I'll get my coat :o

That's OK David, the Vauxhall dealership didn't like it either. :ROFL: