A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   wet carpets (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30)

Norman Herring 21st January 2009 07:32 PM

wet carpets

I have 10 year old 3.7 (front wheel drive) and carpets in n/side front and rear footwells are constantly wet any ideas on cause please? norman herring.

Conan_the_Librarian 21st January 2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Herring (Post 39)
I have 10 year old 3.7 (front wheel drive) and carpets in n/side front and rear footwells are constantly wet any ideas on cause please? norman herring.

Norman,

welcome to the A8Parts Forum. Your car is a D2 model so a moderator will move this post to the relevant D2 section shortly.

Wet carpets are a common problem on the D2. Look here for one of the answers. There is also the chance that one of the sunroof drain pipes has perished and you have water running down the A pillar. Finally there is a through bulkhead hole in the passengers foot well under the ECU / TCU housing that may leak. I will try to find a link to a solution although Botang will probably have the link somewhere. Botang?

Mike

ulfilias 13th May 2009 02:23 PM

Hi There,

Had a little water in the passenger footwell, so while rooting cables blew the HVAC drain.

However, what causes some water under the *REAR* carpets ???

I guess most people don't notice when they have water as the foam backing is so thick it would never get through !

cya,
Lee

Conan_the_Librarian 13th May 2009 05:11 PM

If water gets into the front passenger foot well in enough quantity it will migrate to the rear foot well where it pools. It can also get in via the air duct under the seat. Read this thread which is the one I promised at the start and forgot:o.

A8 Owner 19th May 2009 04:54 PM

right ive took pass panel out and unpluged just bfore it goes into orange drain. other than put airline down it, is it easy to put the orange drain out and clean it out of car. IS it just a grommet style drain and if so easy to pull out and get back in????

Driver side is been a pain to get out as them plastic nuts that hold foot rest on r not been friendly LOL. 1 at bottm has come off just
the one in middle at side is the pain one. Take it thees just them 2??? as audi page doesnt show this side.

Conan_the_Librarian 19th May 2009 05:43 PM

Here is your tunnel.....
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...edDSCF1473.jpg

The 2 orange drains come out in the tunnel behind some heat shielding and a lot of sound deadening. there are channels in the foam that let the water out. The orange drains can just be pulled out but there is no need. if you have low pressure air just blow them through. Blow upwards and if there is a blockage stand by for a cleaning job inside!!!! :eek: better to use a thin wire and clear the pipes.

ulfilias 21st May 2009 09:40 AM

*SCARED*

Thats more or my d2 innards than i ever wanted to see !!!

I'm sure there is something important missing....:ROFL:

A8 Owner 21st May 2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulfilias (Post 4337)
*SCARED*

Thats more or my d2 innards than i ever wanted to see !!!

I'm sure there is something important missing....:ROFL:

Thank god u noticed thought it was just me who noticed this didnt have the washer bottle

badger7777 26th November 2009 11:12 AM

Just started to unblock my aircon drains - pasenger side trim removed, pulled off the orange pipe but wasn't prepared for the deluge of water! Think there must have been well over a pint in there! Managed to quickly get the orange pipe back in place before getting a jug to catch it all!

Is it necessary to repeat the operation in the drivers side too or is the condensate tray linked?

PsYcHe 26th November 2009 12:49 PM

I'd do the drivers side too, just to unblock that, should reduce the chance of a reoccurrence.