A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Gearbox service by ZF in Dortmund (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338)

IT 23rd February 2009 02:28 PM

Gearbox service by ZF in Dortmund

Here follows a really quite interesting post on the topic of servicing our good old 5 speed ZF gearboxes. The link is very BMW-Centric as its a BMW forum, however we had this brought to our attention by one of our customers who took his A8 there. BMW, Jaguar, Range Rover etc all use the same ZF gearbox we do.

It cost him just under 400 euros for a full service, and although his box felt fine before it went it, it felt very, very smooth afterwards.

The interesting concept here is the idea of servicing the 'shifter brain' which makes more sense when you read this link and enjoy all the pretty pictures.

But the thing I find most interesting in this, is that the life of the gearbox is portrayed as almost infinite, if it is routinely serviced in this way......

I cant vouch for that, but thought you'd all find it interesting nontheless.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/527361

Oli18 23rd February 2009 03:42 PM

WOW - what a service and a great write up. ZF are only a 4hr drive from calais...

Map

...seems almost worth it just to get a service like that for that sort of money. You'd be pretty sure it wouldn't be going wrong any time soon +++

-Oli

Conan_the_Librarian 23rd February 2009 05:36 PM

Top Find Ian. Added to the Transmission Sticky and Recommended Dealers Sticky.

Architex_mA8tey 23rd February 2009 06:35 PM

Fantastic service and a fantastic write up - thanks Ian yes a really interesting find (makes you want to drive to ZF just to watch them do it!) +++

builder22 24th February 2009 04:06 PM

Hello there,

I know the transmission sticky have been updated and perhaps this is really overkill (:)) but could (should) the thread on recommended suppliers be updated with this info too?

B

Conan_the_Librarian 24th February 2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by builder22 (Post 1685)
Hello there,

I know the transmission sticky have been updated and perhaps this is really overkill (:)) but could (should) the thread on recommended suppliers be updated with this info too?

B

It has been! :o
Under Europe / Germany

jmw748 8th April 2009 11:43 PM

I emailed them on Monday, got a read receipt but heard nothing more from them. I was prepared to drive across to them, but my gearbox has got progressively worse, so I don't think I'd make it (I would if I had very few stops!). Looks like the best place I could take my S8, so it's a shame they didn't reply.

billblank 9th April 2009 01:34 PM

I emeailed them last month but in German and got a reply the next day. Prices have gone up a little but they were still very reasonable. I'm tempted purely by the fact that if, in the course of the service, discover my torque converter is as shagged as I think it is they have the parts on the shelf ready to go.

Bill

IT 10th April 2009 11:48 AM

I'm sad to report that 7000 miles after this wonderful service, the gearbox in question started to develop faults much the same as any other box would at that age / mileage.

Whilst the ZF 'wonder-service' looked so, so impressive, our first impressions are now that perhaps its no more beneficial than a service by a good independent over here.

Perhaps, if serviced by ZF every 20-40K throughout its lifetime, then it may make a difference, but in reality many of these gearboxes dont get their first service until 100K plus miles, and it seems that damage is done by that point and the death of it is inevitable.

We are noticing (apart from the S8's) that the facelift gearboxes seem to last longer. We are thinking it may be due to the electronic throttle, which noticably backs off the engine during a gear change - Something that the pre facelift did not.... This is one of Davids theorys as hes very much pedal to the metal, and notices every split second that he's not on 'full throttle'... :D Since moving from a pre facelift to a post facelift, he's noticed this 'backing off' behaviour....

jmw748 10th April 2009 09:57 PM

Hmmm

Ian,

If I'm reconditioning my gearbox fully, should I still look to sell my beloved S8 soon? She's already had a pre-emptive gearbox service (for what benefit?), a new windscreen, wheels are being refurbed Tuesday and I'll book her in for a cambelt change next month. I'm not going to keep ploughing thousands into the car - I would rather consider converting it to manual instead or just cutting my losses soon. I talked to Unit 20 about a manual upgrade after hearing a rumour they'd done so to an RS6, but it turns out they haven't done the transplant yet and they push their auto issues to CAT, so no real experience of the conversion yet. As much as I love the S8, there's a fine line between dedication and commitment to a marque and foolhardy investment. At least I don't have a multitronic box (reading horror stories about those makes me wonder if Audi are any use at picking the best auto boxes). When I looked at getting a motorway muncher, I thought twice about high mileage 5 Series' because they have auto problems - turns out they use ZF boxes too!
If Chester Auto Trans replace the torque converter, friction plates etc, should I expect the box to last for a good period after the job?